Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

No Connection With Same VLAN on Different Switches

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  No Connection With Same VLAN on Different Switches

Posted Jan 22, 2020 01:31 PM

I'm having an issue pinging other computers from the same VLAN on two different switches. I'm familiar with VLAN's and networking, just not with Aruba's. 

If I plug a PC into any VLAN2 port on switch 1 and try to ping a PC on switch 3 in VLAN2, it doesn't ping. I have tried tagging the specific VLAN's on the LACP ports but it's not working. However, if I physically put a patch cable from switch 1 to switch 3 (port 1 to port 1), the two PC's are able to ping each other. I'm thinking I'm improperly tagging the VLAN's? 

I can ping within the same VLAN, just not accross physical switches.

The switches are: 

1x - Aruba JL254A  2930F  48-port
    2x - Aruba JL261A  2030F 24-port

ArubaVLANswitches.jpg

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

• 2.  RE: No Connection With Same VLAN on Different Switches

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 22, 2020 01:35 PM

How are switches 1, 2, and 3 connected to each other?

• 3.  RE: No Connection With Same VLAN on Different Switches

Posted Jan 22, 2020 01:42 PM

They are connected via LACP (active) with 3 patch cables going to each switch. For example, ports 43, 45, and 47 on switch 1 plug into ports 19, 21, and 23 on switch 2. Ports 20, 22, 24 on switch 2 plug into 19, 21, and 23 on switch 3.

• 4.  RE: No Connection With Same VLAN on Different Switches

MVP GURU
    Posted Jan 22, 2020 03:00 PM

Need to tag the vlan on LACP (trkX) port

• 5.  RE: No Connection With Same VLAN on Different Switches

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 22, 2020 03:27 PM

Perhaps the color coding in the graphic is off, but I see 6 ports shaded for LACP on switches 1 and 2, but only 3 ports on switch 3 thus I'm unclear on the physical connectivity.

Assuming the connectivity between the three switches is functioning, then the other comment is correct and where I was headed next ... your VLANs need to be trunked on the trk interface between switches.

• 6.  RE: No Connection With Same VLAN on Different Switches

Posted Jan 23, 2020 06:11 AM

The graphic just shows what ports the VLAN's are assigned to and where LACP is active. Although ports 44, 46, and 48 on Switch 1 are shaded gray, they are not connected, they have just been assigned to LACP. Sorry, that does look confusing.

Switch 1 Port 43 is plugged into Switch 2 Port 19
    Switch 1 Port 45 is plugged into Switch 2 Port 21
    Switch 1 Port 47 is plugged into Switch 2 Port 23

Switch 2 Port 20 is plugged into Switch 3 Port 19
    Switch 2 Port 22 is plugged into Switch 3 Port 21
    Switch 2 Port 24 is plugged into Switch 3 Port 23

So if I can't communicate between switch 1 and 3 for VLAN2 I should tag all of the LACP ports on all 3 switches? Do I need to create a trunk for each VLAN?

Thanks

• 7.  RE: No Connection With Same VLAN on Different Switches

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 23, 2020 10:10 AM

@BelovedUS wrote:

Switch 1 Port 43 is plugged into Switch 2 Port 19
    Switch 1 Port 45 is plugged into Switch 2 Port 21
    Switch 1 Port 47 is plugged into Switch 2 Port 23

Switch 2 Port 20 is plugged into Switch 3 Port 19
    Switch 2 Port 22 is plugged into Switch 3 Port 21
    Switch 2 Port 24 is plugged into Switch 3 Port 23

So if I can't communicate between switch 1 and 3 for VLAN2 I should tag all of the LACP ports on all 3 switches? Do I need to create a trunk for each VLAN?

Switch 1 and 3 should both have a Trk1 interface as a result of the LACP connection. Switch 2 should have both a Trk1 and Trk2 interface. Your VLANs need to be tagged on those Trk interfaces in order to complete the connection between the switches.

• 8.  RE: No Connection With Same VLAN on Different Switches

MVP GURU
    Posted Jan 23, 2020 10:24 AM

@BelovedUS wrote:

Yes !

• 9.  RE: No Connection With Same VLAN on Different Switches

Posted Jan 23, 2020 11:03 AM

Thanks for the reply. I tagged the ports but I still cannot ping. I have a laptop plugged into port 1 on Switch 1 and I have a laptop plugged into port 1 on Switch 2, they cannot ping each other.

Switch 1172-16-0-4_tagged.jpg

Switch 3172-16-0-6_tagged.jpg

Thanks

• 10.  RE: No Connection With Same VLAN on Different Switches
    Best Answer

MVP GURU
    Posted Jan 23, 2020 11:08 AM

@BelovedUS wrote: So if I can't communicate between switch 1 and 3 for VLAN2 I should tag all of the LACP ports on all 3 switches? Do I need to create a trunk for each VLAN?

Yes you should...or, better, you need to permit VLAN 2 to be transported (tagged) between Switches using the uplinks you created (1 <--uplink--> 2 <--uplink--> 3).

Since the uplinks are all aggreagated ports (Port Trunks) this means that you need to tag those TrkX logical interfaces (not the member ports, it's not necessary not possible) to be tagged members of VLAN 2.

Something similar to:

interface ethernet TrkX tagged vlan 2

where X is the Port Trunk id for all Trunks used as uplinks in ANY involved Switch.

Repeat for any other required VLAN id.

• 11.  RE: No Connection With Same VLAN on Different Switches

Posted Jan 23, 2020 01:39 PM

I was able to get the 2 PC's to ping each other by using these commands:

[SWITCH 1]

config
    interface 45,47 disable
    trunk 45,47 trk1 lacp
    interface trk1 tagged vlan 2
    interface 45,47 enable

[SWITCH 3]

config
    interface 21,23 disable
    trunk 21,23 trk1 lacp
    interface trk1 tagged vlan 2
    interface 21,23 enable

Is it normal that I can't access the management VLAN now that those ports have been tagged for Trk1? For example: If I have my laptop plugged into port 45 on switch 1, I cannot access the switches web interface.

Thank you for all of your help, it's much appreciated.

• 12.  RE: No Connection With Same VLAN on Different Switches

MVP GURU
    Posted Jan 23, 2020 02:26 PM

You can't connect your Laptop on Switch 1 Port 45 when that port is currently configured to be part of (member of) a Port Trunk (remember that a Port Trunk in HP jargon means Links Aggregation).

Once a port is member of a Port Trunk it can't be used for "normal" host access.

Please, do yourself a favour, use an access port (untagged member of VLAN 2) for your Laptop and connect it to such port for your testing.

A Port Trunk is a logical interface which manages its member ports...once you confiure a Port Trunk (no matter if Non Protocol or LACP) its member ports become managed by the Trk<id> logical interface and it is expected that peer interfaces are of the same sort on peer Switch/Device...I doubt your laptop was configured with two Ethernet interfaces in bonded mode with VLAN Tagging IEEE 802.1Q set on VLAN id 2...that's the reason you need to simply connect it to a simple access port (untagged member of VLAN id 2).