Wired Intelligent Edge (Campus Switching and Routing)

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor I

No Connection With Same VLAN on Different Switches

I'm having an issue pinging other computers from the same VLAN on two different switches. I'm familiar with VLAN's and networking, just not with Aruba's. 

If I plug a PC into any VLAN2 port on switch 1 and try to ping a PC on switch 3 in VLAN2, it doesn't ping. I have tried tagging the specific VLAN's on the LACP ports but it's not working. However, if I physically put a patch cable from switch 1 to switch 3 (port 1 to port 1), the two PC's are able to ping each other. I'm thinking I'm improperly tagging the VLAN's? 

I can ping within the same VLAN, just not accross physical switches.

The switches are: 

1x - Aruba JL254A  2930F  48-port
2x - Aruba JL261A  2030F 24-port

ArubaVLANswitches.jpg

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
MVP Guru

Re: No Connection With Same VLAN on Different Switches

@BelovedUS wrote: So if I can't communicate between switch 1 and 3 for VLAN2 I should tag all of the LACP ports on all 3 switches? Do I need to create a trunk for each VLAN?

Yes you should...or, better, you need to permit VLAN 2 to be transported (tagged) between Switches using the uplinks you created (1 <--uplink--> 2 <--uplink--> 3).

Since the uplinks are all aggreagated ports (Port Trunks) this means that you need to tag those TrkX logical interfaces (not the member ports, it's not necessary not possible) to be tagged members of VLAN 2.

Something similar to:

interface ethernet TrkX tagged vlan 2

where X is the Port Trunk id for all Trunks used as uplinks in ANY involved Switch.

Repeat for any other required VLAN id.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted

How are switches 1, 2, and 3 connected to each other?

Charlie Clemmer
Aruba Customer Engineering
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor I

They are connected via LACP (active) with 3 patch cables going to each switch. For example, ports 43, 45, and 47 on switch 1 plug into ports 19, 21, and 23 on switch 2. Ports 20, 22, 24 on switch 2 plug into 19, 21, and 23 on switch 3.

Highlighted
MVP Guru Elite

Need to tag the vlan on LACP (trkX) port

PowerArubaSW: Powershell Module to use Aruba Switch API for Vlan, VlanPorts, LACP, LLDP... More info

PowerArubaCP: Powershell Module to use ClearPass API (create NAD, Guest...) More info

PowerArubaCX: Powershell Module to use ArubaCX API (get interface/vlan/ports info)

PowerArubaIAP: Powershell Module to use Aruba Instant AP

PowerArubaMC: Powershell Module to use Mobility Controller / Master

ACMP 6.4 / ACMX #107 / ACCP 6.5 / ACSP
Highlighted

Perhaps the color coding in the graphic is off, but I see 6 ports shaded for LACP on switches 1 and 2, but only 3 ports on switch 3 thus I'm unclear on the physical connectivity.

Assuming the connectivity between the three switches is functioning, then the other comment is correct and where I was headed next ... your VLANs need to be trunked on the trk interface between switches.

Charlie Clemmer
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor I

The graphic just shows what ports the VLAN's are assigned to and where LACP is active. Although ports 44, 46, and 48 on Switch 1 are shaded gray, they are not connected, they have just been assigned to LACP. Sorry, that does look confusing.

Switch 1 Port 43 is plugged into Switch 2 Port 19
Switch 1 Port 45 is plugged into Switch 2 Port 21
Switch 1 Port 47 is plugged into Switch 2 Port 23

Switch 2 Port 20 is plugged into Switch 3 Port 19
Switch 2 Port 22 is plugged into Switch 3 Port 21
Switch 2 Port 24 is plugged into Switch 3 Port 23

So if I can't communicate between switch 1 and 3 for VLAN2 I should tag all of the LACP ports on all 3 switches? Do I need to create a trunk for each VLAN?

Thanks

Highlighted

@BelovedUS wrote:

Switch 1 Port 43 is plugged into Switch 2 Port 19
Switch 1 Port 45 is plugged into Switch 2 Port 21
Switch 1 Port 47 is plugged into Switch 2 Port 23

Switch 2 Port 20 is plugged into Switch 3 Port 19
Switch 2 Port 22 is plugged into Switch 3 Port 21
Switch 2 Port 24 is plugged into Switch 3 Port 23

So if I can't communicate between switch 1 and 3 for VLAN2 I should tag all of the LACP ports on all 3 switches? Do I need to create a trunk for each VLAN?

Switch 1 and 3 should both have a Trk1 interface as a result of the LACP connection. Switch 2 should have both a Trk1 and Trk2 interface. Your VLANs need to be tagged on those Trk interfaces in order to complete the connection between the switches.

Charlie Clemmer
Highlighted
MVP Guru Elite

@BelovedUS wrote:

Yes !

PowerArubaSW: Powershell Module to use Aruba Switch API for Vlan, VlanPorts, LACP, LLDP... More info

PowerArubaCP: Powershell Module to use ClearPass API (create NAD, Guest...) More info

PowerArubaCX: Powershell Module to use ArubaCX API (get interface/vlan/ports info)

PowerArubaIAP: Powershell Module to use Aruba Instant AP

PowerArubaMC: Powershell Module to use Mobility Controller / Master

ACMP 6.4 / ACMX #107 / ACCP 6.5 / ACSP
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor I

Thanks for the reply. I tagged the ports but I still cannot ping. I have a laptop plugged into port 1 on Switch 1 and I have a laptop plugged into port 1 on Switch 2, they cannot ping each other.

Switch 1172-16-0-4_tagged.jpg

Switch 3172-16-0-6_tagged.jpg

Thanks

Highlighted
MVP Guru

@BelovedUS wrote: So if I can't communicate between switch 1 and 3 for VLAN2 I should tag all of the LACP ports on all 3 switches? Do I need to create a trunk for each VLAN?

Yes you should...or, better, you need to permit VLAN 2 to be transported (tagged) between Switches using the uplinks you created (1 <--uplink--> 2 <--uplink--> 3).

Since the uplinks are all aggreagated ports (Port Trunks) this means that you need to tag those TrkX logical interfaces (not the member ports, it's not necessary not possible) to be tagged members of VLAN 2.

Something similar to:

interface ethernet TrkX tagged vlan 2

where X is the Port Trunk id for all Trunks used as uplinks in ANY involved Switch.

Repeat for any other required VLAN id.

View solution in original post

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: