Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Packet capture in AirWave

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  Packet capture in AirWave

Posted Mar 25, 2016 09:30 AM

Is there a way to do a packet capture from a MAS in AirWave? We are running AirWave 8.0.10 on  a VM housed on an ESX server and it's a bit of a problem to use Wireshark since there's no way of knowing at any given moment which physical interface on the ESX AirWave is using (the server has four connected interfaces and runs about two dozen VMs), so I can't tell which one to port mirror to my Wireshark station. Was hoping there was built-in feature in AirWave to do that, but so far haven't found one. There's plenty of info on capturing from APs, but I'm specifically interested in SNMP traffic between the switches and the AirWave application.

• 2.  RE: Packet capture in AirWave

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 25, 2016 10:43 AM

What are you trying to do?  Capture SNMP traffic from Airwave to the MAS?

• 3.  RE: Packet capture in AirWave

Posted Mar 25, 2016 01:08 PM
    Sorry for the brief reply earlier!

We have certain MAS stacks that seem to drop SNMP every day at a specific time of day and for a specific duration - it's been going on for months. Always the same two switch stacks. After the predictable interval, they return to passing SNMP traffic.

I've opened a case with Aruba TAC and they've asked me to get packet captures from our AirWave server, but I can't really see how to do it for the reasons I outlined. Just wondering if there's way so that I can give TAC what they need.

Jon Koelker
    IT Support
    Oyster River Cooperative School District
    jkoelker@orcsd.org

• 4.  RE: Packet capture in AirWave

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 25, 2016 04:08 PM

You could use TCPDUMP on Airwave...