Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Partial InterVLAN routing

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Partial InterVLAN routing

Posted Feb 26, 2018 02:00 PM

Hi experts,

I have an scenario where I am going to create many VLANs in a 3810 core switch and spread them out with 2930 access switches. If I want to have full interVLAN routing I would enable routing in the core switch with the "ip routing" command. But if I don't want to have full interVLAN routing but partial interVLAN routing, let's say, I want to have communication only between VLANs 10,20 and 30, but not between those VLANs and VLANs 40 and 50, how can I achieve this? I need to use ACLs?

Regards,

Julián

• 2.  RE: Partial InterVLAN routing

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 26, 2018 02:04 PM
    Why wouldn’t you just handle the edge routing down at the 2930s?

• 3.  RE: Partial InterVLAN routing

Posted Feb 26, 2018 02:20 PM

Hi Tim,

There are two things:

1. I think there will be some servers connected to the core switch in a different VLAN than the users, and I need communication between the users and these servers.

2. If I do the interVLAN routing in the access switches and I have an access switch with VLANs 10, 20, 30, 40 and 50 and users in all these VLANs, and I only want communication between VLANs 10, 20 and 30 but not between those VLANs and VLANs 40 and 50, how can I achieve this?

Regards,

Julián

• 4.  RE: Partial InterVLAN routing

Posted Feb 27, 2018 08:41 AM
    Hi guys,

Any idea?

Regards,
    Julián

• 5.  RE: Partial InterVLAN routing
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 09, 2018 04:15 AM

ACL's are definetly the way to go make this happen. They give you some control over which traffic is allowed to be routed throughout your VLAN's. However, it might be worth it to look into a small-business firewall solution. This gives you much more control, and allows you to keep your traffic flows manageable as your network grows and becomes more complex over time. 

• 6.  RE: Partial InterVLAN routing

Posted Mar 09, 2018 01:51 PM

Hi MartijnNoij,

Thanks for the confirmation and your recommendation!

Regards,

Julián