Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Port config question

This thread has been viewed 7 times
  • 1.  Port config question

Posted Apr 23, 2020 01:41 AM

Hello, I 'm going to upgrade our backup server. The server has a 10gig sfp+ connection. Looking for some guidance as far as config to a 2930M switch. I have an extra sfp+ module for the switch. After I connect a fiber cable between  the switch module and the dell system. Would I just add the  fiber port into the correct vlan? Does the switch have to be off when I plug in the module? I am new to Aruba  switches and still in the learning process with them. Appreciate your help! Thank you

• 2.  RE: Port config question
    Best Answer

MVP GURU
    Posted Apr 23, 2020 03:04 AM

Hi!

I suggest you to first insert the SFP+ Transceiver on the desired free slot (port) of your Aruba 2930M (it's hot plug so no switch poweroff is necessary at all).

Give it just few seconds once seated (generally I wait at least 5 seconds) before connecting the Fiber Optic cable.

The VLAN port assignment is a matter of understanding which single VLAN (if the port will be used as an Access port) or which multiple VLANs (if the port will be used to carry more than one VLAN) the switch port should be member of...considering you can untag and/or tag the port with required VLANs to cope with the peer device VLANs' assignments.

To be more clear: let's say the Server should stay in VLAN <vlan-id> because it should server/connect to other devices in the very same VLAN <vlan-id>...and it's VLAN unaware (so you don't set any VLAN <vlan-id> on the Server NIC port letting the traffic to leave the port of your server without any tag and letting the untagged traffic to be accepted on that port)...then just put the port as untagged member of VLAN <vlan-id> with the command (VLAN <vlan-id> should be defined on your Switch so go to VLAN <vlan-id> context with the command: vlan <vlan-id> untag <port-id> ...another way is to explicitly set the port as untagged member of VLAN <vlan-id> (without starting from the VLAN id x context level) with the interface ethernet <port-id> untagged vlan <vlan-id> CLI command.

If you need to carry more VLANs you need to understand (to match) how the server tags the various involved VLANs (totally possible it has the NIC port configured to permit some traffic untagged on a particular VLAN id, and various traffic flows tagged on other various VLAN ids)...but that you should know in advance (switch side or server side, in any case the configuration should match).

An useful command to see how a port is configured in terms of VLAN membership is:

show vlan port <port-id> detail

Edit: forgot to say that installed Transceivers can be diagnosed starting with basic commands such:

show interfaces transceiver <port-id>
    show interfaces transceiver <port-id> detail

• 3.  RE: Port config question

Posted Apr 23, 2020 08:20 AM

Thank you! Appreciate the detailed explanation, very helpful.