Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Possible POE Damage to VOIP Phones?

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Possible POE Damage to VOIP Phones?

Posted Nov 21, 2019 08:55 AM

Greetings, this post is simply to inquire of the Aruba community to see if anyone else has experienced this problem with VOIP phones.

Please note, I have already contacted support for my PBX, and have already submitted RMAs for damaged phones. This post is not to talk about my PBX, but to simply ask for feedback on a suspicion.

This is about a K-12 school that uses the Aruba Mobility S2500 and S3500 switches. I have other schools that use the same switches that are NOT experiencing this problem.

I have suddenly had VOIP phones (always in the same rooms on the same drops) fail with the handset speaker. meaning that the person who answers the call is unable to hear the caller, yet the caller is able to hear the person who answers. Only a replacement of the phone solves the problem. Tests of the line do not reveal any issues, however this problem only "seems" to happen after a power surge in the building.

All of the Aruba switches are on Tripplite rackmount UPS units with AVR. So could it possibly be an EMI pulse traveling on the CAT 6 cabling and damaging the phones? I have experienced this once after a lightning strike, but that is obviously more powerful than a "regular" power surge.

What are your thoughts? My supervisor even suggested a possible POE voltage issue with the Aruba switches themselves. But again, I have the exact same switches at another school, with the same phones, with no problems.

Thank you for your time to read this. I am about at my witt's end to figure this out. We can't keep RMA'ing phones every couple of months.

• 2.  RE: Possible POE Damage to VOIP Phones?

Posted Nov 21, 2019 06:38 PM

Simmilar issue here with mitel/shoretel phones. pluged into a varity of models. 5400xl2 series, 2930m, 2530 series. Managed to warrenty the phones so far, but would rather not keep doing it. Luckaly not impacting WAP's at this point

• 3.  RE: Possible POE Damage to VOIP Phones?

Posted Nov 22, 2019 11:08 AM

Thank you, ShaunTurner, so I am not that crazy (maybe a little crazy).

If I may ask, do you have CAT 6 or CAT 5e cabling? Did you experience power surges in the building before your phones experienced these problems?

Fortunately my VOIP phones have some fantastic debug logging ability. I sent all of those logs, including a packet capture during an internal call, to support with the RMA ticket. I will definitely add a reply to this post once we learn what happened.