Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Preemption in MAS stack

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Preemption in MAS stack

Posted Oct 03, 2016 06:49 AM

We have a stack of S3500 switches in all our branch offices. The stack is configured manually like this:

stack-profile
       member-id 0 serial-number "XXXXXXXX" role primary-capable
       member-id 1 serial-number "YYYYYYYY" role primary-capable
       member-id 2 serial-number "ZZZZZZZZ" role line-card

When a failure occurs on member-id 0 (which is normally the primary switch) the primary role moves to member-id 1. When member-id 0 comes back online there is currently no preemption so the primary role stays with member-id 1. Is there any way of changing this?

• 2.  RE: Preemption in MAS stack

Posted Oct 25, 2016 03:46 PM

Not that I've seen.

I used to be concerned about sm0 always being primary, but I stopped caring after realizing it didn't matter (in our environment).

• 3.  RE: Preemption in MAS stack

Posted Oct 26, 2016 01:24 AM

For us it matters because we use Airwave to configure these switches, and when the secondary becomes the master the stack is "monitor only" in Airwave and will not get config changes.

• 4.  RE: Preemption in MAS stack

Posted Nov 01, 2016 09:08 AM

Interesting.  Our MAS are not managed so I've never come across that.

Have you called TAC for a solution?  I'd be interested to know what they say.