Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Procedure for powering off a Stack

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  Procedure for powering off a Stack

Posted Feb 20, 2020 04:57 PM

Hello, I recently moved my 3810m stack of 8 (Ring) into production. We are now going to be doing a scheduled power outage for other reasons and I need to know the proper way to shutdown the stack. I want my stack to remain the same in terms of commander/standby/members, etc... so when I turn it all back on, I'll do it in the order I want but wasn't sure the proper way to turn it off. Do I simply unplug each member, then standby, finally the commander? I'll be certain to save my configuration ahead of time. Thanks in advance for the help.

• 2.  RE: Procedure for powering off a Stack

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 21, 2020 03:03 AM

Hello,

Two ways we can configure stacking:

• Plug-and-go method:

Stacking built in algorithm takes care of selecting commander, standby and members with election mechanism.

Simple and it's fun to understand stacking election mechanism.

• Deterministic method:

As your case, administrator wants to select who is commander, standby and members.

Many customer network follow this method, it's simple.

Administrator can configure priority <1-255>, higher the priority that switch will become the commander, then standby and so on members.

example:

stacking

member 1 type "JL074A" mac-address 70106f-8d2b00

member 1 priority 255

member 1 flexible-module A type JL083A

member 2 type "JL074A" mac-address 1c98ec-966c00

member 2 priority 254 

member 2 flexible-module A type JL083A

member 3 type "JL074A" mac-address 70106f-8f5480

member 3 priority 250

member 3 flexible-module A type JL083A

exit

does this help?

Thank you,

Yash

• 3.  RE: Procedure for powering off a Stack

Posted Feb 21, 2020 10:04 AM

Thanks Yash. I'll go ahead and get the priorities setup on the switches. As for shutting the system down, is there a better way than simply pulling the plug or killing power? We have a scheduled power outage so that is why I ask. Thanks again for the detailed instructions.

• 4.  RE: Procedure for powering off a Stack
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 23, 2020 09:15 AM

Hello,

Aruba Infrastructure equipment (AP's, Switches, controller, gateway and so on) are designed to be always on.

In other words for your case, graceful shutdown is "write memory" (with Deterministic stacking configuration) will bring stacking to normal operation. Once after write memory, please go ahead with pulling power cable.

Good day!

Yash