Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

QoS On Mobility Switch

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  QoS On Mobility Switch

Posted May 21, 2015 02:09 PM

I'm struggling with some QoS questions that the User Guide just isn't answering.  Please help!

Standard scenario: I have handsets that are tagging VoIP traffic appropriately.  I need to trust this traffic inbound a make sure it has priority above anything else traversing the trunk upstream.

The handset and uplink ports have been set to 'trust dscp' so I know the tagging should be honored. I'm not clear on if a qos profile is necessary.  It seems like it would be needed as I have no other way of setting drop precedence.  However, I don't understand how the QoS profile should look and how it should be applied, as there are many places: port ACL, user ACL, and interface-group.  Also, I don't understand if setting the traffic class in the qos profile is necessary, since the user guide indicates that EF traffic is already mapped to queue 5.  Maybe it's just an override option to put it in a different queue?  Last, for EF traffic, should the drop precedence be high or low?  I'm not sure which is better :D

An example configuration would be much appreciated, in addition to being able to answer any of the above questions.

• 2.  RE: QoS On Mobility Switch

Posted May 21, 2015 03:41 PM

Also, is there any way to inspect the queues and output drops?

• 3.  RE: QoS On Mobility Switch

Posted May 22, 2015 11:06 AM

If the phones are tagging with a specific voice vlan and dot1p value, then its better to go with “trust dot1p”.

Note that, qos-profile  & qos-trust (with dscp, dot1p and auto modes) are mutually exclusive 

(MAS) (gigabitethernet "0/0/1") #qos trust dot1p
    (MAS) (gigabitethernet "0/0/1") #qos-profile QOS-1
    Error: Cannot apply both QoS trust and QoS-profile!

If  prioritization is required only for specific user, then applying the QOS profile under "user-role" would be better.

If it is only one user behind that port, then you can go with port level setting else you can go with user level.  

For viewing the default mapping of queues for qos-trust use:

show qos-profile trusted

There are no show CLI commands to inspect queues.