Wired Intelligent Edge (Campus Switching and Routing)

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor II

QoS confirmation

I have raised a couple of posts on the forums about VLAN and QoS priority so far and the feedback has been very helpful and positive so far so thank-you.

Only one little point I would like some feedback from. I am using an Aruba 2530 (J9780A) switch and want to concerntrate on the layer 2 for this query.

Basically I want to confirm my QoS configuration so far.

My VLAN's work fine (I get split networks on 2 different IP ranges) so am happy with the VLAN'S, despite the fact I cannot see a VLAN tag in the Wireshark trace (I am running a mirror port on the VLAN trunk/uplink/tagged port) I also cannot see any priority tagging for traffic in Wireshark either.

I run the command on the Aruba "show qos vlan-priority" and get the below:

VLAN-based Prioritization

VLAN ID Apply rule | DSCP Priority
------- ----------- + ------ -----------
1 No-override | No-override
40 Priority | 5

My VLAN configuration shows this priority set also (some un-relevant entries removed):

vlan 40
name "VOICE"
qos priority 5
voice

Obvously confirmation would be that I get crystal clear voice on a call without dropped packets, but was just wondering if anyone had anything to confirm these points on a switch level before going live with the customer.

Anyone with an experience of finding these packets on Wireshark also I would be keen to hear your points. And I have checked the Wireshark forum also.

Occasional Contributor I

Re: QoS confirmation

Are you using Wireshark on a Windows PC? In my experience, Windows NIC drivers do not pass the DSCP or CoS tagging on packets. When I was setting up and testing QoS for our VoIP system, I ended up using a laptop with Kali Linux installed to do my Wireshark captures. I believe other flavors of Linux will work for this as well. 

Occasional Contributor II

Thanks for responding, that is a very interesting point that I was not aware of. I am using a Windows machine for running Wireshark for simplicitys sake.

I can however run Linux with T-shark and see if I get a positive result I will update shortly.

MVP Expert

it is good ?

PowerArubaSW: Powershell Module to use Aruba Switch API for Vlan, VlanPorts, LACP, LLDP... More info

PowerArubaCP: Powershell Module to use ClearPass API (create NAD, Guest...) More info

PowerArubaCX: Powershell Module to use ArubaCX API (get interface/vlan/ports info)

PowerArubaIAP: Powershell Module to use Aruba Instant AP

ACMP 6.4 / ACMX #107 / ACCP 6.5
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: