Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Routed links with VLANs and can’t ping the Management IP...

This thread has been viewed 11 times
  • 1.  Routed links with VLANs and can’t ping the Management IP...

Posted Jun 11, 2019 05:23 PM
    Hi all!

I am kind of new to Aruba and learning... I have a question though and can’t figure out what I’m missing...

I have 3 2930f switches in 3 locations that are linked together. A and b are connected on a vlan with each interface having an ip, b and c are connected in a vlan with each interface having an ip and same for C and A.

I can ping and remotely connect to the vlan IPs, but I cannot ping or remotely connect to the switches with the management IP... any suggestions?

• 2.  RE: Routed links with VLANs and can’t ping the Management IP...

MVP GURU
    Posted Jun 12, 2019 02:02 AM

can you share the config ?

do you have a schema ?

do you don't have forget default gateway ? or enable management vlan ?

• 3.  RE: Routed links with VLANs and can’t ping the Management IP...

Posted Jun 25, 2019 06:46 PM

Basically we have two 2930F.

Interface 28 on both is the interface connecting the two. 

Each switch has a different IP on VLAN 1.

We are using a vlan with a /30 subnet that has interface 28 untagged  on both.

Traffic flows fine, but I can only ping and remotely connect to the IP of the interface 28 (We are using RIP as well).

I am trying to figure out how I can ping the IP of VLAN 1 which I am not able to do, but all else is good... If that makes sense...

• 4.  RE: Routed links with VLANs and can’t ping the Management IP...

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 26, 2019 01:10 PM

Greetings!

Is there a route from your management system to the VLAN 1 IP address on each of the switches you're trying to access? You may need to check other switches and/or routers to verify that these routes are being properly redistributed via RIP.

If that route is there, next verify that there is a route back to the management system IP/subnet from the switch itself. Use the 'show ip route' command in the switch CLI:

switch# show ip route

IP Route Entries

Destination        Gateway         VLAN Type      Sub-Type   Metric     Dist.
      ------------------ --------------- ---- --------- ---------- ---------- -----
      0.0.0.0/0          10.5.7.1        57   static               1          1    
      10.5.7.0/24        Mgmt            57   connected            1          0    
      127.0.0.0/8        reject               static               0          0    
      127.0.0.1/32       lo0                  connected            1          0    

Verify that you either have a specific route that includes the subnet where the management system is located, or that the default router is capable of routing back to that system.

• 5.  RE: Routed links with VLANs and can’t ping the Management IP...

Posted Oct 08, 2019 12:03 PM

It has been a little bit, I am still working on this though. I am going to check the routing.

The set up is 3 switches. A, B and C. A is the main one. A is connected to B by a /30 subnet. B is connected to C with a /30 subnet as well. The switches are running RIP. The two interfaces that connect the switches are setup as untagged on VLAN 1 only. 

I can ping VLAN 1 from B and C back to A. If I am on any of the switches, I cannot ping VLAN 1 on the other switch though... I saw the a message about the default gateway, but I cannot do that unless I disable the routing. 

• 6.  RE: Routed links with VLANs and can’t ping the Management IP...

MVP GURU
    Posted Oct 08, 2019 03:18 PM

if routing is enable you need to use ip static route 0.0.0.0...

• 7.  RE: Routed links with VLANs and can’t ping the Management IP...

Posted Nov 08, 2019 11:35 AM

Once I connected a device to the switch and put it on that VLAN I was able to ping the management IP/ VLAN...

• 8.  RE: Routed links with VLANs and can’t ping the Management IP...

MVP GURU
    Posted Nov 09, 2019 04:05 PM

do you have check the (default) gateway ?