Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Setting a Vlan with a dedicated Gateway

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Setting a Vlan with a dedicated Gateway

Posted Aug 15, 2019 02:00 PM
    We have an Aruba 2350-48 switch, we are creating a VLAN, but would like to set a dedicate gateway for it, without using the default gateway from the switch, can this be done? I'm using CLI interface, I'm not to familiar with it and not familiar in creating VLAN. thank you in advanced.

• 2.  RE: Setting a Vlan with a dedicated Gateway

MVP GURU
    Posted Aug 16, 2019 03:31 AM

@hectorh wrote: ...we are creating a VLAN, but would like to set a dedicate gateway for it, without using the default gateway from the switch...

What does it mean?

When you create a VLAN id you can eventually assign to that VLAN id an IP Address...that IP Address is the gateway for that VLAN Id (and it is the Gateway address the hosts members of that VLAN id should use).

• 3.  RE: Setting a Vlan with a dedicated Gateway

Posted Aug 26, 2019 01:33 PM
    Please note that the 2530 is not a layer 3 switch so it's not able to route traffic from clients. The default gateway option you can set on the switch is just for management traffic. So you can set a default gateway to make the management reachable from remote networks.

@hectorh It would be the best if you provide some details about the things you want to achieve. What do you want to route (management traffic, traffic from hosts,...)? Why you want to set it per VLAN and not globally via ip default gateway?

• 4.  RE: Setting a Vlan with a dedicated Gateway

Posted Sep 03, 2019 05:17 PM

Hi Hector,

As JKLs says, 2530 is not a L3 switch, so you need an external device that performs vlan routing.

If you have a router, you can try a "router on a stick" deployment.

More info here:

https://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/55605-how-to-configure-router-on-a-stick

Basically, vlans should be created on HPE switch and then you should set the uplink to the router as a trunk , then, configure the router physical interface using virtual interfaces and 802.1q (see the link above for a Cisco router configuration)

Regards

• 5.  RE: Setting a Vlan with a dedicated Gateway

MVP GURU
    Posted Sep 03, 2019 05:59 PM
    Hi, I agree with you all that Aruba 2530 doesn't provide any Layer 3 feature...I just replied about the strange OP statement I quoted.

Since OP is working with an ArubaOS-Switch based Switch Series...I suggest to exchange the term "trunk" used above with "tagged member of various VLAN IDs" that need to be transported to the external router...otherwise...the OP will erroneously induced to create a port aggregation "Trk" (probably with one member interface only).