Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: 16 hours ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Speed and duplex in SFP port

This thread has been viewed 9 times
  • 1.  Speed and duplex in SFP port

Posted Mar 08, 2020 07:33 PM

Switch: 2930F SFP PoE+ (JL261A)

Module:1000T-sfp (J8177D)

AOS:WC.16.10.0005

Hi, two days ago I was configuring a 2930F SFP uplink interface and had to force it to 100 Mbps and auto duplex. I located a 1 Gbps port for testing, but when I tried to reset the speed/duplex settings for the 2930's SFP interface I received a message that said that such settings couldn't be configured on this port.

I tried disabling the port to try changin to full auto setting or forced 1000, but it didn't work. I tried with one of the 1-24 interfaces and the command was accepted without problem.

Finally, out of nowhere I tried again AFTER removing the J8177D module and, finally, I was able to change speed/duplex settings for the interface.

Is this a normal and expected behaviour for SFP and/or SFP+/28/56 interfaces?

Thanks in advance.

#2930F

• 2.  RE: Speed and duplex in SFP port

Posted Mar 08, 2020 10:54 PM

Oh, but I did it:

sixonetwo_1-1583722443331.png

• 3.  RE: Speed and duplex in SFP port
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 09, 2020 02:05 PM

Greetings!

As noted in the AOS-Switch and AOS-CX Transceiver Guide, page 61:

J8177C/J8177D support both 100Mbps and 1G operation in this Switch Series.

However, changing speed settings in an SFP/SFP+ port is not supported while a transceiver is installed and operating. 

• 4.  RE: Speed and duplex in SFP port

Posted Mar 09, 2020 02:09 PM

Thank you, then the right action to do if a speed/duplex change is requiered is to first remove the SFP, make the change, and plug it back.

• 5.  RE: Speed and duplex in SFP port

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 09, 2020 02:14 PM

Correct, but note that this only applies to the J8177C/D RJ45 transceivers, as they are the only supported transceiver that is capable of operating at multiple speeds (all supported optical transceivers operate only at a single speed).