Wired Intelligent Edge (Campus Switching and Routing)

Occasional Contributor II

Stacking 2 x 8320's

Hi,

I have a couple of 8320's that i want to stack. I've spent the last 2 hours reading up on VSX documentation with 2 core and aggregate switches etc. and come to the conclusion i need to create a lag on each switch and make them an ISL's and nominate a primary and secondary switch but i dont think that will achieve what i want. i simply just want to stack them like you would 2 2930F's using VSF. Can somebody tell me the best way to achieve this, or nearest way to achieve this. This isnt going to be a complex network. Im going to attach 5 edge switches to this "core" via trunks and also do the same with 6 ESXi hosts and a SAN, using VLANs etc. simple.

Thanks!!

Occasional Contributor I

Re: Stacking 2 x 8320's

HI 8320's dont Stack like VSF they will be two independently managed switches but will act as one logical switch from the perspective of the downstream 2930F's .

Here is an example config 

================================

8320-SW01

interface lag 10
no shutdown
no routing
vlan trunk native 1 tag
vlan trunk allowed 10,20,30
lacp mode active
interface lag 20 multi-chassis
no shutdown
no routing
vlan trunk native 1
vlan trunk allowed 10,20

--------------------------------------------

vsx
inter-switch-link lag 10
role primary #This Actually Turns on VSX
keepalive peer 10.1.1.2 source 10.1.1.1 # This line is optional and doesnt have to be a directly connected link between the switches its just an Ip address thats on both switches and is reachable 

-------------------------------------------

interface 1/1/1
no shutdown
lag 20
interface 1/1/2
no shutdown
lag 10
interface 1/1/3
no shutdown
lag 10

8320-SW02

interface lag 10
no shutdown
no routing
vlan trunk native 1 tag
vlan trunk allowed 10,20,30
lacp mode active
interface lag 20 multi-chassis
no shutdown
no routing
vlan trunk native 1
vlan trunk allowed 10,20
lacp mode active

-------------------------------------------

vsx
inter-switch-link lag 10
role secondary
keepalive peer 10.1.1.1 source 10.1.1.2

--------------------------------------------

interface 1/1/1
no shutdown
lag 20
interface 1/1/2
no shutdown
lag 10
interface 1/1/3
no shutdown
lag 10

This Configuration will get the two Devices up in an VSX configuration But the down stream device will not actually see them as the same Logial switch until you take advantage of the Active gateway under a particular Vlan, the active gateway address is similar to a VRRP Virtual IP. This Configuration has to be on both switches as well

========================================

8320-SW01

interface vlan10
ip address 10.10.10.2/24
active-gateway ip 10.10.10.1 mac 48:00:00:00:10:10
interface vlan20
ip address 10.20.20.2/24
active-gateway ip 10.20.20.1 mac 48:00:00:00:20:20

8320-SW02

interface vlan10
ip address 10.10.10.3/24
active-gateway ip 10.10.10.1 mac 48:00:00:00:10:10
interface vlan20
ip address 10.20.20.3/24
active-gateway ip 10.20.20.1 mac 48:00:00:00:20:20

Once this is all set up and configured the down stream 2930F's well see the two swotches as  one logical switch but they two independent switches. 

MVP Expert

@ClarenceHillard2 wrote:

This Configuration will get the two Devices up in an VSX configuration But the down stream device will not actually see them as the same Logial switch until you take advantage of the Active gateway under a particular Vlan, the active gateway address is similar to a VRRP Virtual IP.

That's not totally correct: VSX deployed without Active Gateway - in a "simple" Layer 2 switching implementation scenario - is seen as a single entity from downstream switches/hosts once those are connected via traditional LACP aggregated ports (LAGs aka Trunks) to VSX members...in other words...Active Gateway just kicks in when VSX has Layer 3 duties too.

It's not clear from OP post if Layer 3 functionalities (IP Routing) are needed and, if so, they should be in charge of the VSX.

For sure VSX is not like VSF from the point of view of management plane. Also, VSX configuration requires more attention (it's like Distributed Trunking on steroids)...no matter if you just stop at Layer 2 (which is essential) or you go up by implementing Layer 3 features on it.

MVP Expert

Pay attention that example configuration proposed above it's just an example so take it as it is: it lacks indeed of few essential prerequisites about VSX ISL and VSX Keepalive to be really "ready for a production site". See VSX Deep Dive and VSX Best Practices guides (VSX Configuration Guide)...there is a lot to say on how correctly configure a VSX to have it rock solid for further deployments at Layer 2 and 3 levels.

These switches are going to be doing layer 3 duties yes. I was going to configure VLAN interfaces for routing between the VLANs.

I read that document last night and by the looks of it I'm wanting to setup an ISL and active active gateway. All documentation has more than one switch as the keep alive can't go over the ISL? So is it possible to configure VSX properly with 2 switches, layer 2 & 3?

delete

MVP Expert

@strabries wrote: ...I'm wanting to setup an ISL and active active gateway.

You simply don't want to setup an ISL...you must setup an ISL to form VSX.

VSX requires (as best practices):

• a LAG with fast physical interfaces devoted to ISL (generally one would use and aggregate DACs on fastest ports Aruba 8320 offers...nobody will block you if you're going to use simple SFP+ interfaces). Generally use LAG 128 (last LAG id available so you can start with LAG Id 1 upwards for VSX LAGs to downstream/upstream devices).
  •  a Keepalive dedicated link (or a dedicated LAG), avoid to use the ISL for Keepalive peering.
  • VSX LAGs (Multi-Chassis LAGs) to upstream/downstream devices with - at least - VLAN synchronization.

@strabries wrote: All documentation has more than one switch as the keep alive can't go over the ISL?

As said...Keepalive should go over a dedicated link (directly - preferred - or indirect - via a third switch) and not use the ISL.

Yes so im going to create an ISL using 2 x 40GB DACs, then run another 10GbE SFP link across for the keepalive to avoid splitbrain, im confortable now ive read the documentation step by step (i think!). So im going to be connecting 6 x DL380's each with 4 x10GbE nics (ESXi) so i was going to (if they were stacked like with VSF) attach 2 to each switch. Would i greate a lag for each and assign 2 interfaces which would sync over to the secondary switch and then connect the 4 10GbE nics? Also connecting a HPE Nimble SAN to the same switches same thing. Any advice appreciated so far!

thanks!

MVP Expert

@strabries wrote:

Yes so im going to create an ISL using 2 x 40GB DACs, then run another 10GbE SFP link across for the keepalive to avoid splitbrain, im confortable now ive read the documentation step by step (i think!). So im going to be connecting 6 x DL380's each with 4 x10GbE nics (ESXi) so i was going to (if they were stacked like with VSF) attach 2 to each switch. Would i greate a lag for each and assign 2 interfaces which would sync over to the secondary switch and then connect the 4 10GbE nics? Also connecting a HPE Nimble SAN to the same switches same thing. Any advice appreciated so far!

thanks!

for ESXi, you don't need to make LACP

PowerArubaSW: Powershell Module to use Aruba Switch API for Vlan, VlanPorts, LACP, LLDP... More info

PowerArubaCP: Powershell Module to use ClearPass API (create NAD, Guest...) More info

PowerArubaCX: Powershell Module to use ArubaCX API (get interface/vlan/ports info)

PowerArubaIAP: Powershell Module to use Aruba Instant AP

ACMP 6.4 / ACMX #107 / ACCP 6.5
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: