Wired Intelligent Edge (Campus Switching and Routing)

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor II

Static management IP for 2530

Hi!

I have a 2530 switch in which I need to use VLAN 1 (primary VLAN) to sync with external NTP (Google's) and to connect with Central in the future.

However, it seems it is mandatory to have a DHCP IP address for the VLAN interface in the primary VLAN in order to have a default IP route to get into Internet:

HP-2530-48G-PoEP(vlan-1)# sh ip route

IP Route Entries

Destination Gateway VLAN Type Sub-Type Metric Dist.
------------------ --------------- ---- --------- ---------- ---------- -----
0.0.0.0/0 172.19.17.253 1 static 250 1
127.0.0.0/8 reject static 0 0
127.0.0.1/32 connected 1 0
172.19.17.0/24 DEFAULT_VLAN 1 connected 1 0

HP-2530-48G-PoEP(vlan-1)#

The problem that I see is that I need a static IP address within this same VLAN for local management, apparently seconday IP addresses cannot be configured in this model nor I can configure loopback interfaces.

Is there any other way to accomplish this need for a fixed management IP?

Thanks in advance.

MVP Expert

Re: Static management IP for 2530

@sixonetwo wrote: However, it seems it is mandatory to have a DHCP IP address for the VLAN interface in the primary VLAN in order to have a default IP route to get into Internet

Why?

You should be able to set assign a IP Address to Default VLAN interface and add a default gateway to your next hop for Internet access. I don't see any mandatory requirement to have IP Address of Default VLAN interface assigned by a DHCP Server to manage a default gateway...something like:

Aruba-2530# configure
Aruba-2530(config)# vlan 1
Aruba-2530(vlan-1)# ip address a.b.c.d e.f.g.h
Aruba-2530(vlan-1)# exit
Aruba-2530(config)# ip default-gateway i.l.m.n
Occasional Contributor II

Re: Static management IP for 2530

Yes, you're right.

The network where I set up this switch had a strict DHCP policy, but they had to take out an IP address for the management of this switch since there was not another way to do it.

Once I had it I configured it just exactly as you said.

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: