Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Static management IP for 2530

This thread has been viewed 10 times
  • 1.  Static management IP for 2530

Posted Dec 04, 2019 02:04 PM

Hi!

I have a 2530 switch in which I need to use VLAN 1 (primary VLAN) to sync with external NTP (Google's) and to connect with Central in the future.

However, it seems it is mandatory to have a DHCP IP address for the VLAN interface in the primary VLAN in order to have a default IP route to get into Internet:

HP-2530-48G-PoEP(vlan-1)# sh ip route

IP Route Entries

Destination Gateway VLAN Type Sub-Type Metric Dist.
    ------------------ --------------- ---- --------- ---------- ---------- -----
    0.0.0.0/0 172.19.17.253 1 static 250 1
    127.0.0.0/8 reject static 0 0
    127.0.0.1/32 connected 1 0
    172.19.17.0/24 DEFAULT_VLAN 1 connected 1 0

HP-2530-48G-PoEP(vlan-1)#

The problem that I see is that I need a static IP address within this same VLAN for local management, apparently seconday IP addresses cannot be configured in this model nor I can configure loopback interfaces.

Is there any other way to accomplish this need for a fixed management IP?

Thanks in advance.

• 2.  RE: Static management IP for 2530
    Best Answer

MVP GURU
    Posted Dec 04, 2019 06:36 PM

@sixonetwo wrote: However, it seems it is mandatory to have a DHCP IP address for the VLAN interface in the primary VLAN in order to have a default IP route to get into Internet

Why?

You should be able to set assign a IP Address to Default VLAN interface and add a default gateway to your next hop for Internet access. I don't see any mandatory requirement to have IP Address of Default VLAN interface assigned by a DHCP Server to manage a default gateway...something like:

Aruba-2530# configure
    Aruba-2530(config)# vlan 1
    Aruba-2530(vlan-1)# ip address a.b.c.d e.f.g.h
    Aruba-2530(vlan-1)# exit
    Aruba-2530(config)# ip default-gateway i.l.m.n

• 3.  RE: Static management IP for 2530

Posted Dec 04, 2019 08:36 PM

Yes, you're right.

The network where I set up this switch had a strict DHCP policy, but they had to take out an IP address for the management of this switch since there was not another way to do it.

Once I had it I configured it just exactly as you said.