Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: 16 hours ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Switch meshing vs trunk links

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Switch meshing vs trunk links

Posted Mar 24, 2019 06:45 AM
    Hi all,

I’ve been looking at using switch meshing in my new network design.

One of my sites will have a core switch peering at layer 3 (OSPF) to 7 different 5400 series switches (collapsed core design).

I want to find a way where all the access layers can potentially route through each other in the event of a failover of their core switch connection. I was also considering having layer 2 spread across the access layers with each one peering to the core switch at layer 3 (OSPF).

Would switch meshing help with this? Anyone got experience using the technology?

I’m keen to try something different to the usual layer 2 trunking around the estate. I don’t want to use spanning tree unless I have to ...

Thanks

• 2.  RE: Switch meshing vs trunk links

MVP GURU
    Posted Mar 26, 2019 04:06 PM

Do you have a schema ?

• 3.  RE: Switch meshing vs trunk links

Posted Mar 26, 2019 05:57 PM
      |   view attached

So at the moment I was thinking of keeping all the layer 2 (VLANs) local to each access switch, then using OSPF back to the core switch.

Not sure how the switch meshing works but any advice to make this design better would be appreciated?

Thanks

Attachment(s)

pdf
    AccessSwitch.pdf   30 KB 1 version

• 4.  RE: Switch meshing vs trunk links

Posted Mar 26, 2019 05:58 PM

PS. forgot to mention I attached rough diagram in last message

• 5.  RE: Switch meshing vs trunk links

MVP GURU
    Posted Mar 27, 2019 05:27 AM

@redford1980 wrote:

So at the moment I was thinking of keeping all the layer 2 (VLANs) local to each access switch, then using OSPF back to the core switch.

Not sure how the switch meshing works but any advice to make this design better would be appreciated?

Thanks

Really need to routing on your 5400Rzl ? (if it is access switch ?)

• 6.  RE: Switch meshing vs trunk links

Posted Mar 27, 2019 05:33 AM
    Yes the 5400 switch will be access layer.

I’ll have a handful of VLANs with local SVI on the switch for the end users default gateway. Then OSPF link back to the core switch for ongoing traffic.

This ok?

Thanks

• 7.  RE: Switch meshing vs trunk links

MVP GURU
    Posted Mar 27, 2019 05:35 AM

Yes, it is a solution...

(What the number of vlan ?)

• 8.  RE: Switch meshing vs trunk links

Posted Mar 27, 2019 06:19 AM

No more than 10 on each access layer .... VLANs will be common throughout also ... so VLAN for users, VLAN for phones, VLAN for video conferencing etc