Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Switch stack member down, client lose connection

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  Switch stack member down, client lose connection

Posted May 01, 2015 03:32 AM

Hi!

I have a stack with four members (S1500).
    When the primary member is down, the client who is connect to third stack member is lose connection (5-10 ping lost).

It's a normal operation? When a stacking member is down, the clients who connect to other switch in stack lose connection some second?

Switch configuration:

stack-profile
    member-id 0 serial-number "XXX" role primary-capable
    member-id 1 serial-number "XXY" role primary-capable
    member-id 2 serial-number "XXZ" role line-card
    member-id 3 serial-number "XXI" role line-card
    !

add stacking interface stack 0/46
    add stacking interface stack 0/47

• 2.  RE: Switch stack member down, client lose connection

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 01, 2015 09:35 AM

Yes, this is expected behavior. When the PRIMARY member goes down, the SECONDARY will take its place. This process requires resyncronization of protocols suchs as STP and OSPF which will cause a momentary outage.

Best regards,

Madani

• 3.  RE: Switch stack member down, client lose connection

Posted May 01, 2015 04:45 PM

Hi Madani,

thanks for your reply. When I test linecard member down, i found 1 ping lose, but after the same linecard member is boot up 5-10 ping lose.

In this case why was "long" downtime?

Thanks,

Kalman

• 4.  RE: Switch stack member down, client lose connection

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 01, 2015 04:55 PM

Can you give more details on the stack topology (show stacking members and show stacking topology), where you're pinging (client to client within the stack, out an uplink, etc) and which member you are taking down. Depending on the member going down, it can be in the traffic path and so there has to be a re-route through the stack links, or it could be causing a STP event if portfast isn't enabled. There are a number of variables here.

Best regards,

Madani

• 5.  RE: Switch stack member down, client lose connection

Posted May 02, 2015 08:38 AM

Hi Madani,

Please see the attachments! (network topology, stack informations).

swich configured:

spanning-tree

mode pvst

the clients ports set:

bpdugard

portfast

The problem is : when the stack member 3 down, 1 ping lose on the clients (it's no problem), and when boot up 5-10 ping lose (it's the problem)!  Can I configure something, which reduce this downtime?

Thanks

Kalman