Wired Intelligent Edge (Campus Switching and Routing)

Occasional Contributor I

Re: Switches suddenly show up as 24 port stack ports?

Thank you for that response!  Maybe we can talk this afternoon depending on where the things are I might take you up on this offer.

I'll PM you with my contact info.

madjali wrote:

Also, I can make myself available this evening if we could reboot the stack. I do believe the stack will recover and if not, I can help rebuild it with you and make sure we encorporate some of the best practises I use.

Best regards,

Madani

Occasional Contributor I

Special thank you to Vinod who worked on the case all day with me!  We found removing the current stack primary causing it to switch to a different switch resolved the issue then putting the switch back in.  We (well the smart guys at Aruba while I sit around and watch) are still looking into the primary route cause for all of this.

I have to say I'm happy once we got the correct engineer on the case how quickly progress was made, but I'm sad how long things were wasted leading up to that.

Thanks!

Occasional Contributor II

Thank you very much for posting this!

I had the same issue and I disconnected the primary from the stack and reconnected it and it resolved the issue.

I do wish we knew how this happened cause its bound to happen again.

Aruba

CoolNAK,

Could you tell us what version of code you were running as well as share a copy of the configuration?

Best regards,

Madani

Here is the version and screenshot of the topology

Aruba Operating System Software.
ArubaOS (MODEL: ArubaS2500-24P-US), Version 7.2.2.1
Copyright (c) 2002-2013, Aruba Networks, Inc.
Compiled on 2013-06-19 at 07:05:29 PDT (build 38712) by p4build
ROM: System Bootstrap, Version CPBoot 1.0.37.0 (build 36057)
Built: 2012-11-06 23:15:03
Built by: p4build@re_client_36057
Switch uptime is 19 days 20 hours 7 minutes 24 seconds
Reboot Cause: User reboot.
Processor XLS 208 (revision A1) with 1023M bytes of memory.
955M bytes of System flash

Aruba

CoolNAK,

Unfortunately there isn't enough to go on based upon the topology or the software release. I had hoped it was an older release but 7.2.2.1 is relatively new. If the issue does occur again, please open a TAC case immediately. We continue to review the data provided by NeumontU but we haven't found a root cause yet.

Best regards,

Madani

Attached is the configuration.

The switches #0 and #1 are connected by the stacking cable switches #2 and #3 are connected by 10Gb LRM fiber.

I provisioned the stack a few weeks ago. I upgraded the firmware to the latest version. I was unable to put switch #2 into the rack until i could get a maintenace window to take an older switch out of the rack. I had switch #2 connected in the closet but not mounted in the rack. Everything was working fine

I swapped the switches, powering cycling switch #2 and when switch #2 came back online none of the ports of switch #2 responded. I checked the web management interface and it showed all the ports as stacking for switch #2.

The fiber connection on the stack showed as down. I swaped the fiber connections of switch #2 and switch #3 to troubleshoot to see if maybe I had damaged the fiber in moving switch #2. Both switches stack interface came up but both switches showed all there ports as stacking ports.

The whole time the CLI showed the correct topology. Switch #3 was still servicing APs before and after I swapped the fiber. The APs on switch 0,1, and 3 did not have any issues during the whole events.

Aruba

CoolNAK,

I'll pass along the steps and config to Engineering to see if they can replicate it. If something occurs before I get back to you, please open a TAC Case.

Best regards,

Madani

Aruba

CoolNAK,

I also went over your config and have a few recommendations.

For your access-ports connected to servers or workstations, I recommend enabling portfast. It helps with two things, the first being that the port immediately transitions to forwarding when the port comes up but more importantly, if the port is bouncing up and down, it won't cause the switch to generate any STP topology change notifications which in turn cause MAC addresses to get flushed. Also just to confirm, are the APs in bridging mode hence why all the AP interfaces are configured as trunks?

There are a lot of ports that are configured the same, you could take advantage of interface-groups to simplify the config. A group can have blocks of ports across multiple members.

The stack profile is configured as follows:

stack-profile
   member-id 0 election-priority 200
   member-id 1 election-priority 199
   member-id 2 election-priority 100
   member-id 3 election-priority 100
!

There are two things I see here, the first is that any new member attached to the stack will end up having a higher election-priority than the existing line cards since the default is 128. I typically recommend leaving line card members at their default which is 128 to avoid any unexpected role changes. For example, if the secondary switch were to fail, a line card would be promoted to that role, but if a new non-replacment switch for the secondary came with it's defaultsy (128), it would take over which isn't detrimental to the stack persay but again, I just like to reduce any potential role churn.

The second thing is with respect to members 0 and 1. When you have different priorities for the primary and secondary member, this leads to pre-emption in the event of a failure. What I mean is that if member 0 were to fail, member 1 would take over, but if member 0 comes back, it will re-take it's role as primary which again causes churn in the stacking roles. To avoid this, I typically use the same priority value for both since it really doesn't matter which is primary or secondary. I also set this value to the maximum of 255 to ensure that no misconfiguration can cause a switchover.

Best regards,

Madani

Occasional Contributor I

I was told I should upgrade to 7.2.2.2, and that the actual bug has been identified.  If you have this problem I'd try to move to the latest code release from the sounds of it (at this time is 7.2.2.2).

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: