Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: 16 hours ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Using Ansible with raw commands

This thread has been viewed 23 times
  • 1.  Using Ansible with raw commands

Posted Oct 13, 2018 02:14 PM
    I am nearly up and running with my Ansible set-up and while I can do raw commands to a Cisco, I am not getting the same from Aruba,

Any ideas how I can use the raw module to write configs ?

Also is there a good repository for looking at playbooks and get some ideas?

• 2.  RE: Using Ansible with raw commands

MVP GURU
    Posted Oct 14, 2018 08:25 AM

• 3.  RE: Using Ansible with raw commands

Posted Oct 14, 2018 08:29 AM

I was hoping for ProVision OS, 3810, 2930, 

I have found the Aruba Github there is only a few ideas on there, I wanted build an repository.

Although i have only labed Comware 7 in GNS3, but will also be getting on AOS-CX in the near future. 

Thanks

Andy

• 4.  RE: Using Ansible with raw commands

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 15, 2018 12:12 PM

Greetings!

If you're looking to run a CLI command (or a batch of commands) on ArubaOS-Switch via Ansible, you would want to use the CliCommand or CliBatchCommand REST API methods. These methods accept either a single command or a set of commands that are executed directly, as if they were being run at the CLI prompt. For more details, refer to the Rest API Guide for ArubaOS-Switch 16.07 (these methods are listed on page 47) and the 16.07 REST API and JSON Schema.

• 5.  RE: Using Ansible with raw commands

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 16, 2018 05:12 PM

Aruba developed Ansible modules for ArubaOS-Switches.

You can find out public github for ansible here - https://github.com/aruba/aruba-switch-ansible

Wiki on how to install modules - https://github.com/aruba/aruba-switch-ansible/wiki/ArubaOS-Switch-Modules-Examples

• 6.  RE: Using Ansible with raw commands

Posted Oct 17, 2018 04:17 AM

Thanks for links, I have still be unable to get it working. I am trying to convert from Network CLi to understanding programing and dont have a comminuty to work through some of the problems. 

I got it working with Cisco easily, but getting the Comware or Aruba working seems to be a bigger challenge. 

I know i have a steep learning curve but i would rather learn on Aruba then Cisco, as it applies to enviroment and career.

• 7.  RE: Using Ansible with raw commands

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 17, 2018 02:06 PM

We do have a new Developer Community right here on Airheads where you can ask questions, request feedback, and see the latest programmability innovations on Aruba platforms. Feel free to join and start participating!

• 8.  RE: Using Ansible with raw commands

Posted Feb 28, 2019 02:12 PM

Is the API supported on 3800s in Stack mode running KB.16.08.0001?

From the documentation: "Aruba REST API Guide for ArubaOSSwitch 16.08"

​"Restrictions

• Rest interface is not supported in FIPS.

• Rest Interface is not supported on ArubaOS 3800 stack switches."

If this is true, its a grave diappointment because we have mostly 3800 stacks to manage via automation and Aruba seems to have put all their cards in their API.

• 9.  RE: Using Ansible with raw commands

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 28, 2019 03:01 PM

The REST API is fully supported on 3810 stacks in 16.08 (and has been since at least 16.05); this is an error in the REST API guide and we will get it corrected ASAP.

Thank you for pointing this out to us!

• 10.  RE: Using Ansible with raw commands

Posted Feb 28, 2019 03:29 PM

Thanks for the fast reply!