Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

VSF and Link Aggregation doubt

This thread has been viewed 10 times
  • 1.  VSF and Link Aggregation doubt

Posted Jan 17, 2018 06:11 PM

Hi experts,

I am very new with Aruba switches and VSF, so I have a doubt about a topology I have to implement. I have four 2930F switches, two of them will form a VSF core switch and the other two will form a VSF access switch:

vsf2.png

Because the logical topology looks like only two swittche with a link aggregation between them, there won't be L2 loops, so I don't need to enable STP. Am I correct with this assumption?

Thanks in advance,

Julián

• 2.  RE: VSF and Link Aggregation doubt

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 22, 2018 07:20 PM

Im pretty sure your correct but I have not tried it.. see here page 606

Distributed trunking The Ethernet link aggregation feature can be used to aggregate physical links between the VSF and its upstream or downstream devices across the VSF members. This eliminates the need for spanning tree and also provides load balancing across all ports of the link aggregate.

• 3.  RE: VSF and Link Aggregation doubt

Posted Jan 23, 2018 08:24 PM

Hello !

The use of "Distributed trunking" is not appropriate in this case, since it is used in separate switches (without VSF / IRF).

• 4.  RE: VSF and Link Aggregation doubt
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 23, 2018 08:21 PM

Hello !

You are right. But ...

1º Accidentally you can have loop in case of inclusion of hubs or the user interconnect the ends of the same cable in the switch.
    2º Depending on the method of aggregation (static / dynamic).

Whenever I can, I avoid the use of STP in my projects, however and need to be guaranteed of the above points ...

• 5.  RE: VSF and Link Aggregation doubt

Posted Jan 24, 2018 12:22 AM

John,

Many thanks for the clarification!

Regards,

Julián

• 6.  RE: VSF and Link Aggregation doubt

Posted Jan 29, 2018 11:33 AM

Hi John,

One more question about this:

1 - Do you mean I should enable STP on the access switches?

2 - What do you mean exactly? I disabled all the port members of the trunk, made the trunk configurations (LACP static), connected the ports and then enabled the ports. Is STP needed here?

Regards,

Julián