Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

VSF link capacity & capability

This thread has been viewed 16 times
  • 1.  VSF link capacity & capability

Posted Feb 13, 2019 01:16 AM
    Hello All,
    I have setup vsf on a stack of 6 2930Fs with 1 gig vsf link in between each switch members. All the members are 48 gig ports . Only the top & bottom has 10 gig uplinks. I want to understand the below-
    How will the members in the middle of the stack with no uplinks behave when they receive more than 1gig traffic (cumulative of all data ports). Will it choke the vsf link due to lack of bandwidth?

• 2.  RE: VSF link capacity & capability

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 13, 2019 12:40 PM

Greetings!

Traffic that must be forwarded between members would be limited by the bandwidth available on the VSF links — any traffic in excess of available VSF link bandwidth would be dropped.

Keep in mind that you can use more than one port per VSF link (up to 8 1G ports), so you can increase the available VSF bandwidth by adding more ports if you have them available. For more info, see the best practices guide attached to this post

• 3.  RE: VSF link capacity & capability

Posted Feb 13, 2019 11:29 PM

Thank You Matthew!

I went through the doc & I see recommendation to use at least two ports per VSF link at the highest speed available, both for redundancy and to maximize bandwidth for intra-fabric traffic forwarding. 

If I understand correctly, 2 ports in a VSF link would be a least recommendation but then again, the actual count depends on how much traffic is being input to the individual stack member(cumulative  of all data ports) & providing enough vsf badwidth to suffice the traffic. 

Kindly correct my understanding !

• 4.  RE: VSF link capacity & capability

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 14, 2019 12:38 PM

Your understanding is correct — VSF links should be sized for the anticipated traffic load on the fabric, with 2 ports per link being the recommended minimum (where practicable).

• 5.  RE: VSF link capacity & capability

Posted Feb 18, 2019 09:34 AM

Is it possible to mix ports in a vsf link ? Can i have one Gig port & another 10gig port for the same vsf link 1 or 2 ?

• 6.  RE: VSF link capacity & capability

MVP GURU
    Posted Feb 18, 2019 11:39 AM

No.

• 7.  RE: VSF link capacity & capability

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 19, 2019 12:17 PM

Different link types can be mixed in VSF links (e.g., 10G SFP+ and 10G HPE Smart Rate, 1G SFP and 1G Cat5e, etc), but all links must be configured and operating at the same speed

• 8.  RE: VSF link capacity & capability

Posted Feb 20, 2019 08:30 AM

Is it only Spped or any parameters such as Duplex also need to match ?

• 9.  RE: VSF link capacity & capability

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 20, 2019 12:48 PM

Supported VSF link port speeds are 1Gbps and 10Gbps, which only operate at full duplex on our switches (duplex is only manually configurable at 10Mbps and 100Mbps port speeds).

In any case, once a port is placed into a VSF link, any manual port configuration is automatically removed and the port will be set to the configured VSF link port speed, which can be viewed using the following command:

switch# show vsf detail 

VSF Domain ID    : 47                                               
     MAC Address      : xxxxxx-xxxxxx    
     VSF Topology     : Ring                                    
     VSF Status       : Active                                  
     Uptime           : 0d 21h 54m  
     VSF MAD          : None                                    
     VSF Port Speed   : 10G                                     
     Software Version : WC.16.08.0001