Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

VSF ring topology on 2930F stack

This thread has been viewed 7 times
  • 1.  VSF ring topology on 2930F stack

Posted May 07, 2018 01:45 PM

I'm trying to configure a 3 switch ring topology on a 2930F stack but only the first two switches join.  I've been reading up on the documentation but I only see examples for 2 and 4 node VSF stacks.  One thing I've run into is the Link numbering.  For example, if I connect Link1 to Link1 on top and middle switch, then Link 2 to Link 2 between the middle and bottom switch, then Link 1 can only be used on the bottom switch (up to the top switch to complete the ring) but Link 1 is already used on the top switch?

• 2.  RE: VSF ring topology on 2930F stack

Posted May 07, 2018 01:51 PM

what's odd, is even if I rule out the ring topology, the 3rd switch isn't coming online in the chain topology so something else is going on.  The 3rd switch is a 2930F but is the only POE switch in the stack... but I've read you can mix and max.  Firmware is all the same.

• 3.  RE: VSF ring topology on 2930F stack

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 07, 2018 01:57 PM

What revision of ArubaOS-Swtich firmware are you utilizing?

• 4.  RE: VSF ring topology on 2930F stack

Posted May 07, 2018 02:11 PM

WC.16.05.0007

• 5.  RE: VSF ring topology on 2930F stack

Posted May 07, 2018 04:16 PM

factory defaulting the 3rd switch allowed it to join the VSF stack, however I'm unable to get the ring topology to work.  Working through that now....

• 6.  RE: VSF ring topology on 2930F stack

Posted May 08, 2018 09:48 AM

Just a quick update.  The ring did eventually connect up but required me to unplug the DAC cables and plug them back in - then the ring topology formed instead of the chain. 

Also, I was mistaken on the VSF port links.  They do not need to be linked to the same port on the other switch as this is impossible to do on a 3 switch ring topology.  For example, Link 1 on the top switch is plugged into Link 2 on the bottom switch.

• 7.  RE: VSF ring topology on 2930F stack

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 08, 2018 01:13 PM

Greetings!

When you were forming the VSF stack, were you allowing the switches to automatically join the VSF domain by connecting them to the commander/standby, or were you manually provisioning each member in advance?