Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: 13 hours ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

What is the future of HP Comware/A Series/H3C based Switches?

This thread has been viewed 18 times
  • 1.  What is the future of HP Comware/A Series/H3C based Switches?

Posted Aug 26, 2015 04:28 AM

If you are not aware HP have sold H3C to a chinese university? H3C created, develops and maintains Comware software , so what is the future of comware switches. I ask as we have some comware switches in our campus, and I have not got a clear answer from HP or the partner that installed them. At the time I was lead to believe that comware was the strategic direction of HP, and the provision range was aimed at SMB. That strategy seems to have had a complete u-turn. Provision now seems to be the strategic direction.

I ask as I am pleased with comware switches and I was considering buying a couple of 5900's for a small computer room. But I dont want to be left with a product which is not strategic.

Any views or insight would be great.

Thanks

Henry

• 2.  RE: What is the future of HP Comware/A Series/H3C based Switches?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 26, 2015 07:15 AM
    I would ask this question on HPs support forums.

Thanks,
    Tim

• 3.  RE: What is the future of HP Comware/A Series/H3C based Switches?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 14, 2016 04:14 PM

Hi Henry,

The Comware devices are now under the HPE logo and all the Provision devices will be re-branded to ArubaOS.

There is no clear delineation between the areas where Comware and ArubaOS devices can be used. 

The DC and SMB products are Comware, but Campus consists of both Comware and ArubaOS devices.

Hope that answers your query.

Thanks,

Jay 

• 4.  RE: What is the future of HP Comware/A Series/H3C based Switches?

Posted Jan 15, 2016 06:46 PM

Hi all:

Thank you for your question.

Hewlett Packard Enterprise (HPE) keeps investing in H3C products and solutions. As an example, in December 2015 two new Comware-based switches were announced: the HPE 5510 HI Switch Series and the HPE 5130 HI Switch Series. Before that, the HPE 7500 Switch Series hardware was upgraded to the support latest version of Comware: v7; the HPE 10500 Switch Series has also been enhanced with new modules in 2015; and new models were added to the HPE 5130 EI Switch Series. Finally there is a robust roadmap of Comware software features.

Regards,

Ruben Iglesias

Global TME

Hewlett Packard Enterprise / Networking

• 5.  RE: What is the future of HP Comware/A Series/H3C based Switches?

Posted Mar 28, 2018 12:59 PM

Hi Ruben,

at 2 year of distance I'll ask same question: What is the future of HPE Comware devices? Expecially for access switches (eg 5130 series).

I've not see any 5140 series or 2,5Gbps/5Gbps on comware devices by HPE. If we are let's said a "comware" based company make still sense buy HPE comware 5130 devices or comware devices by HPE are dead walking devices (At least for access segment)?

Best Marco

• 6.  RE: What is the future of HP Comware/A Series/H3C based Switches?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 03, 2018 05:06 PM

At this point in time, there are no plans to introduce any new 51xx or 55xx hardware into the campus switching portfolio.  The current 5130 EI, 5130 HI, and 5510 HI switch series all have 2+ years of life remaining, not to mention the 5 years of software support beyond the end of sales date for these products.  For new customers, we should be positioning the Aruba products. 

Aruba equivalents:

• 5130 EI = Aruba 2930F
    • 5130 HI = Aruba 2930M
    • 5510 HI = Aruba 3810M

• 7.  RE: What is the future of HP Comware/A Series/H3C based Switches?

MVP GURU
    Posted Apr 04, 2018 09:46 PM

That's only a partial answer that just covers campus positioned Comware based switches' marketing model ("For new customers, we should be positioning the Aruba products.") and leaves users still interested into Comware based HPE Switches with the impression that - to copy what was written 2 years ago by @rubenig80 - no robust roadmap of features (and/or new Comware based series/models) exists anymore. Isn't it?

• 8.  RE: What is the future of HP Comware/A Series/H3C based Switches?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 05, 2018 05:08 PM

What was initially known as "A" series continues to live in the HPE "Hybrid IT" Business Unit - where Servers, Storage and Data Center Networking are sold to support the "cloudification" of your workloads/applications - public/private. The initial offering as 12500/58xx has evolved to 12900E/59xx - using Comware v7 as the glue between all the components with the same value proposition (L2/L3 IPv4/L3 IPv6/MPLS/MPLS VPNs/VXLAN/BGP EVPNs without any license), IMC as the full FCAPS solution (integrating AirWave for Aruba components) with a new module entirely focused on Visibility/Analytics (visualization of traffic bursts, identifiation of the application generating this burst ..) , and the integration with network virtualization solutions (HPE Distributed Cloud Networking, VMware NSX, OpenStack). For any specific question related to this portfolio, I'd be happy to provide direct support. Regards, philippe.michelet@hpe.com