Wired Intelligent Edge (Campus Switching and Routing)

Highlighted
Contributor II

aruba switch 5412 and 3810 vsf

Hi.
I´m confuse about the diferent stacking between a 5412 switch and a 3810 switch, i know that the first works with VSF, and the second too, but in 3810 switches the VSF is a litle diferent. Can someone help me with the explanation?
whats is the diferent between to make a VSF with two 5412 vs to make a VSF with two 3810?
what is the max number of device in each VSF ?

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
MVP Guru

Re: aruba switch 5412 and 3810 vsf

Aruba 5400R zl2 Switch series use VSF (frontplane stacking), Aruba 3810M Switch series uses Hardware Stacking Modules and Stacking Cables (known as backplane stacking...since Stacking Modules are connected to backplane via back slot on switch chassis).

So they use two different ways/technology to achieve the (almost) same result: create a virtual switch of n members.

Frontplane Stacking (VSF) on Aruba 5400R zl2 admits n=2 (only two members) chained together (chain).

Backplane Stacking on Aruba 3810M admits up to 10 members (chain or ring), 5 (meshed)..

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
MVP Guru

Re: aruba switch 5412 and 3810 vsf

Aruba 5400R zl2 Switch series use VSF (frontplane stacking), Aruba 3810M Switch series uses Hardware Stacking Modules and Stacking Cables (known as backplane stacking...since Stacking Modules are connected to backplane via back slot on switch chassis).

So they use two different ways/technology to achieve the (almost) same result: create a virtual switch of n members.

Frontplane Stacking (VSF) on Aruba 5400R zl2 admits n=2 (only two members) chained together (chain).

Backplane Stacking on Aruba 3810M admits up to 10 members (chain or ring), 5 (meshed)..

View solution in original post

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: