Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

communication between VLANs

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  communication between VLANs

Posted May 12, 2020 10:43 AM

Hello everyone

I have a swicht 2930F where I have 6 VLANs created, the main one is VLAN 1.

from VLAN 3 I can ping the VLAN 1 teams but from VLAN 1 I cannot ping the VLAN 3 teams and so in all VLANs I can ping the VLAN 1 teams but from the VLAN 1 I cannot ping the computers on the other VLANs.

I am setting up a network sniffer and I need to capture the data but I do not know if for this detail I am not seeing the traffic between the VLANs

• 2.  RE: communication between VLANs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 14, 2020 05:53 PM

Share your switch configuration and I will see if I spot anything, but it sounds like you are trying to use the switch as a router?

• 3.  RE: communication between VLANs

MVP GURU
    Posted May 15, 2020 03:28 AM

We suppose you (a) assigned an IP address to each of your VLANs defined on your Aruba 2930F (let we suppose you assigned 10.0.1.254/24 to VLAN 1, 10.0.2.254/24 to VLAN 2, 10.0.3.254/24 to VLAN 3...and so on up to 10.0.6.254/24 to VLAN 6) and (b) you enabled IP routing (see ip routing command).

If you did that each message of any host of a particular VLAN (say Host A of VLAN 1) - if the host is properly addresses (with an IP Address set within the 10.0.1.0/24 subnet and Default Gateway set to 10.0.1.254) - will be correctly routed to any other host of another VLAN (say Host B of VLAN 3, example of VLAN 3 host: 10.0.3.x/24 with D.G 10.0.3.254 and Host B with IP address 10.0.3.y and Default Gateway 10.0.3.254). Clearly you must deal with proper settings IF OS Firewalls interfere with ICMP Ping or other protocols/ports.

Can you report about that? ...that's the essential minimum to have inter-VLANs communication.