Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: 13 hours ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

copy switch port config

This thread has been viewed 6 times
  • 1.  copy switch port config

Posted Dec 29, 2019 11:44 AM
    Coming from 3com switches I was able to display a ports config, copy it, and paste to another port to configure the other port. Is it possible to do that on Aruba 2930m switches? Say I wanted to configure switch port 30 the same as switch port 2?

Thank you

• 2.  RE: copy switch port config
    Best Answer

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Dec 29, 2019 12:31 PM

HI mg14,

You can show the current interface configuration with a "show run interface 2". For your new interface 30 some parameters are configured at the interface level were others are not.

See the CLI reference guide for more details. 

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c04793912

• 3.  RE: copy switch port config

Posted Jan 02, 2020 07:51 AM

I would be able to copy what is displayed for port 2 and paste to port 30?

• 4.  RE: copy switch port config

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Jan 02, 2020 08:09 AM
    Not really,

Give us the output of “show run int 2” and we give you the commands to enter.

You can so do a “show run” and this are the commands as they would be entered. For example spanningtree and aaa interface settings are set from the root level and not at the interface level.

• 5.  RE: copy switch port config

Posted Jan 02, 2020 08:42 AM

With everything being setup the ports will all pretty much be the same except for what is on them. Say I need to move an access point, phone, or computer to a different port. I want to see if I can copy port 1/2 and paste it to port 3/20 because port 1/2 is the config I need on port 3/20. Below are a couple run configs. The first one is for a port with a phone and computer, the second is for a port with an access point, and the third is for just a computer. Thank you, I appreciate your help with this!

interface 1/2
    tagged vlan 211
    untagged vlan 2
    exit

interface 3/4
    name "access point"
    tagged vlan 10,15,20,25
    untagged vlan 5
    exit

interface 1/2
    name "tests"
    untagged vlan 300
    exit

• 6.  RE: copy switch port config
    Best Answer

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Jan 02, 2020 05:35 PM

You can add some more best practice settings to a edge interface, like:

interface 1/2
    rate-limit bcast in percent 10
    rate-limit mcast in percent 10
    exit

vlan 2 

untagged 1/2

exit

vlan 211

tagged 1/2

exit

spanning-tree 1/2 admin-edge-port
    spanning-tree 1/2 bpdu-protection

loop-protect 1/2
    loop-protect trap loop-detected
    loop-protect disable-timer 300

write memory

The VLAN can be set in both ways in most firmware, like my setup is the classic way and like your setup is a new methode in the newer firmware. As you can see spanning-tree and loop-protection are set from the root level.

The command "show run interface 1/2" will show you all commands together for interface 1/2, also the commands that be set from the root level. 

Hope this will help you!

• 7.  RE: copy switch port config

Posted Feb 22, 2020 07:50 PM

I apologize I am just getting back to this. I just want to verify, if I have a server on a port or an access point on a port and I wanted to add another server or access point on another port. I can do a show config, copy the port configuration of the port running a server or access point already, open the new port I want to configure, and paste those lines onto the new port, to configure it the same way as the already configured port?

Thank you for your help!

• 8.  RE: copy switch port config
    Best Answer

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Feb 23, 2020 05:50 AM

Yes its similar as we discusses before.

In later firmware you can use the command "show run interface #/#" and can see exact settings thats configured on that interface.