Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

lldp PVID mismatch between Aruba AP and HP Procurve Switch

This thread has been viewed 15 times
  • 1.  lldp PVID mismatch between Aruba AP and HP Procurve Switch

Posted Feb 10, 2015 12:24 PM

I have an Aruba 7210 Mobility Controller and an Aruba AP-224 wifi access point that has a mgmt IP of 10.1.99.101/24.  The HP Procurve switchport connected to the wifi AP-224 is untagged vlan 99 (mgmt) only.  There are no other vlans tagged on the HP switchport.  I have several wifi SSIDs associated with different vlans (vlan 4 for public wifi, vlan 7 for employees, etc).  One problem I am having is the HP switch connected to the AP-224 is reporting this error multiple times per day in the switch syslog:

00828 lldp: PVID mismatch on port B2(VID 99)with peer device
    port ▒▒▒▒(VID unknown)

Everything is working fine on the wifi but my switch log is filling up with these errors.  For the time being I turned off LLDP on that one switchport but I was hoping to leave it on...anyone know the proper switchport configuration for an AP-224 that talks to a 7210 mobility controller?  should I only have untagged mgmt vlan?  Anything I can do on the Aruba side to make these errors stop?  Thanks.

• 2.  RE: lldp PVID mismatch between Aruba AP and HP Procurve Switch

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 10, 2015 12:37 PM

I am curious to know how HP implements its support for LLDP.  What this is indicating to me is that HP knows it has a PVID (native/untagged/etc) VLAN ID of 99 on its port.  However, the AP doesn't have any VLAN configured so the VID field in the LLDP packet from the AP is "null".  Perhaps there is an LLDO setting you can tweak on AP ports?  

• 3.  RE: lldp PVID mismatch between Aruba AP and HP Procurve Switch

Posted Feb 10, 2015 12:53 PM

Thanks.  Here's some options I have available on my HP Switch related to lldp.  Do you see anything that might work?  Thanks.

Capture.PNG

• 4.  RE: lldp PVID mismatch between Aruba AP and HP Procurve Switch

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 10, 2015 12:56 PM

Maybe look into the 802.1 options (802.1q specifically) or maybe Rx only

• 5.  RE: lldp PVID mismatch between Aruba AP and HP Procurve Switch

Posted Feb 10, 2015 01:23 PM

Thanks, I'll check it out.  I'll post back if anything fixes it.  I appreciate your help.

• 6.  RE: lldp PVID mismatch between Aruba AP and HP Procurve Switch

Posted Feb 10, 2015 04:38 PM

disabling lldp on that port (lldp admin-status b2 disable) seemed to make the messages go away but I'm not sure if that broke anything else.  I'm not sure to what extent the Aruba AP needs/uses LLDP...Thanks again.

• 7.  RE: lldp PVID mismatch between Aruba AP and HP Procurve Switch

Posted Feb 10, 2015 11:50 PM

I had to do some reading about this one since I don't work with HPs, but it seems like this should only happen if VLAN 99 is not set to untagged on B2 and the AP is advertising PVID 99 in the LLDP frame.  Did you configure the "uplink-vlan" as 99 on the APs when you provisioned them?  Also, can you verify that B2 is set to untagged in VLAN 99?

The only thing I've found LLDP useful for is quickly identifying the AP names connected to switch ports.  The AP does not require the connected switch to support LLDP.

• 8.  RE: lldp PVID mismatch between Aruba AP and HP Procurve Switch

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 10, 2015 11:54 PM
    This is a long standing issue with HP ProCurves. The only way I've been able to "fix" this is to disable LLDP on the switch and APs. 

• 9.  RE: lldp PVID mismatch between Aruba AP and HP Procurve Switch

Posted Feb 11, 2015 05:10 PM
    LLDP is also used for power negotiation (specifically the issue arises with the 270 series usually since it requires 802.3at)

• 10.  RE: lldp PVID mismatch between Aruba AP and HP Procurve Switch

Posted May 01, 2015 03:50 PM

I have found with HP Switch and a 275, that I need the HP switch port configged as:

interface 1
       name "AP name"
       power-over-ethernet critical
       poe-allocate-by value
       poe-value 26
       speed-duplex auto-1000
       exit

And then turn off LLDP (LLDP admin-status 1 disable).

The HP POE negotiation with the 275 seems wonky, so this forces the matter.

• 11.  RE: lldp PVID mismatch between Aruba AP and HP Procurve Switch

Posted May 01, 2015 11:13 PM

If you can on that model, upgrade the HPs.  There's a control to change what it gets cranky enough to log about in the newer software.  It is mentioned in the release notes.   IIRC you can either tune it, or just having the new software causes it to only log occasionally compared to the constant nagging.

• 12.  RE: lldp PVID mismatch between Aruba AP and HP Procurve Switch

Posted May 21, 2015 01:15 PM

Disabling the port-vlan tlv under the ap lldp profile in the controller fixed this problem for us.  

ap lldp profile "default"
      dot1-tlvs port-vlan vlan-name

• 13.  RE: lldp PVID mismatch between Aruba AP and HP Procurve Switch

Posted May 13, 2016 02:56 AM

We were also running into this issue and found another workaround which seems to be made specifically to ignore these logs.

Following command on the HP switch should do the trick:

• lldp ignore-pvid-inconsistency

• 14.  RE: lldp PVID mismatch between Aruba AP and HP Procurve Switch

Posted Jul 28, 2016 11:03 AM

Using an lldp-profile as wgrandis said is a nice easy solution that does not

require fiddling with each switch.

Do note if you have a large AP group that does not have an enet profile applied and you

need to swap in a new enet profile to do so, this will cause a link-flap on all the APs,

which can among other things load the switch AAA mechanisms.  So probably best to do so

off-hours.

But still, it is the best solution yet to this.

• 15.  RE: lldp PVID mismatch between Aruba AP and HP Procurve Switch

Posted Mar 08, 2017 05:24 AM

I know this a very old post but i do have a fix for this issue. 

to recap the issue is caused by the pvid mismatch between the switch and ap. 

Rather than configure all your switch ports to disable lldp you can configure your AP ethernet profile with the correct pvid.

All my access points are connected as untagged vlan 10. I created a new wired profile for vlan 10.

ap wired-ap-profile "vlan 10"
    switchport access vlan 10

created a new lldp profile and disabled port vlan advertisments

ap lldp profile "vlan 10"
    dot1-tlvs vlan-name

bound the two together 

ap wired-port-profile "vlan 10"
    wired-ap-profile "vlan 10"
    lldp-profile "vlan 10"

added to the group

ap-group "AP_GROUP"
    enet0-port-profile "vlan 10"

hey presto no logs filled with errors.

kind regards

Bmno

• 16.  RE: lldp PVID mismatch between Aruba AP and HP Procurve Switch

Posted Jul 21, 2016 06:06 PM

If you are running a newer verson of the Procurve/Provision/HPE Aruba OS on your switch you can use this handy command to filter out those pesky PVID mismatch errors, in your log.

config t

logging filter PVID 1 ".VID unknown." deny
    logging filter PVID default permit
    logging filter PVID enable

quit

wr mem

I'm not sure when this command came into existance, but I know it is avaiable as Proview 15.16 and of course on the new version 16.x code.

Hope it works for you!

- John Maier

HPE MASE

• 17.  RE: lldp PVID mismatch between Aruba AP and HP Procurve Switch

Posted May 11, 2017 05:51 AM

Hi,

The MGMT VLAN of your AP group is VLAN 99 right?

Is it also configured in the AP group on the Aruba controller?

Default it is normally VLAN 1.

Kind regards,

Thomas