Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

problem with 802.1x authentication

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  problem with 802.1x authentication

Posted May 22, 2016 10:38 PM

Hi

I am having issues with 802.1x authentication, I have been using in our wireless environment for 5 years without issue with derived roles coming from an NPS server either logon_role, user_role or quarantine_role with different vlans associated to each.

I am now wanting to add the same capability to wired ports on our remote AP's

Problem is the workstation logs on after booting and is assigned the correct 802.1x derived role of logon_role and is placed in the correct vlan all visable and correct on NPS server etc, the machine then shows up as a client on the controller host\machinename.domain.

When the user then logs in they do not appear to be authenticated again. NPS show no logged change, controller doesn't see the new client.

This is using the same aaa profile that functions correctly in the wireless environment

Any help would be appreciated

• 2.  RE: problem with 802.1x authentication
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 22, 2016 10:40 PM
    Did you configure the clients for machine + user authentication? 

• 3.  RE: problem with 802.1x authentication

Posted May 23, 2016 09:11 PM

Perfect thankyou, workstation was only configured for 802.1x machine authentication not machine or user authentication.

Another quick query I have two roles that are derived from the nps server after successful authentication has occured ie. logon_role and a user_role, if a domain based workstation fails then it is given the quarantine_role and appropriate vlan. However if a rouge client connects that is not setup for 802.1x or is not a member of the domain and cannot negotiate how is its role and vlan derived as at the moment it is being given the default machine role as above logon_role.

Thanks again