Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

renew ip adress on a 2930f

This thread has been viewed 9 times
  • 1.  renew ip adress on a 2930f

Posted Oct 23, 2018 08:33 AM

Hi.

When my 2930f get a ip adress on ex. vlan 10 via dhcp.

What do i do if a want it to "renew" its ip adress on the same vlan?

ip adress dchp-bootp doesen't release/renew.

The reason is that when it gets the first ip ill grap the mac and do a dhcp reservation on that mac

And please don't say reboot :-) 

Morten

• 2.  RE: renew ip adress on a 2930f

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 23, 2018 12:41 PM

Greetings!

You have a couple of options to force the switch to renew its IP address. First, you can 'bounce' the port on the VLAN in question from which the DHCP address is being obtained:

switch(config)# interface X disable
    switch(config)# interface X enable

Second, you can remove the VLAN's IP address, then re-enable DHCP:

switch(config)# no vlan 10 ip address
    switch(config)# vlan 10 ip address dhcp-bootp

Either of these options will cause the switch to generate a new DHCP lease request.

• 3.  RE: renew ip adress on a 2930f

Posted Oct 26, 2018 03:11 AM

Hi.

then i'll lose connection to the device, it's the only ip adress it has, and its quite a drive :-), i could reboot the device.

• 4.  RE: renew ip adress on a 2930f
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 26, 2018 04:27 AM

What are we trying to do here?

You got the MAC address? 

Make the static lease and delete the current DHCP entry in the DHCP server and you should get the static lease next time it asks for an IP.

• 5.  RE: renew ip adress on a 2930f

Posted Oct 26, 2018 05:32 AM

I'll use that sollution for now, but i'll talk to our local SE to see if there's a way to get it on the road map, i have to wait ½ of the lease time before it gets a new ip, (4 days).

• 6.  RE: renew ip adress on a 2930f

Posted Oct 26, 2018 05:34 AM

Yes, arent you able to  figure out the MAC to make the static lease before plugging it in to the network?

Either that, put a static IP (which should be the recommended answer), or lower the lease time.

• 7.  RE: renew ip adress on a 2930f

Posted Oct 26, 2018 06:13 AM

I could use static ip, but right now iv got about 1000 switch with dhcp, so it's gonna take a long time :-), i really don't know where it gets its mac adress from, can find it with show mac-address, this its a haedware mac of some kind.

• 8.  RE: renew ip adress on a 2930f

Posted Oct 26, 2018 07:00 AM

Hmm, I have a 2930 in the LAB with management VLAN 100. The MAC on that interface VLAN seems to correspond to the same as found with "show system information" then Base MAC Addr.

• 9.  RE: renew ip adress on a 2930f

Posted Oct 26, 2018 07:05 AM

bravo, there it was :-) base mac addr it is, then i can in front reserve the ip adress on some switch, the rest i'll let the ½ dhcp lease grap a new, thx for the help.