Wireless Access

last person joined: 16 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

200 APs, walk around with android phone and lose 5% of ping packets

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  200 APs, walk around with android phone and lose 5% of ping packets

Posted Aug 06, 2015 06:46 PM

Hello, as always thanks for your awesome help and sorry for all the stupid questions.  We have an SSID with just one vlan, there is no vlan mobility or multiple vlans or anything like that (soon).  We have some 200 Aruba APs around the building and if I slowly walk around with my android phone and do a constant ping to the default gateway I drop about 5% of the pings.  I've tried this multiple times with pretty much the same result. In accordance with this post we've tried turning down the Max Tx EIRP and turning off the low Basic and Transmit Rates but the results seem to stay the same (drop 5% of pings).  Is this normal?  Should we try anything else to allow clients to stay connected while moving around the building?  Our APs are pretty densely laid out.  Should we try mode-aware ARM?  Thanks.

• 2.  RE: 200 APs, walk around with android phone and lose 5% of ping packets

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 06, 2015 06:49 PM

That sounds about right. Android devices tend to hold on a little bit longer than other platforms.

The real test would be to use something like a tone generator with a SIP client and see how call quality is impacted. Voice is generally the only application that people will notice quality issues while walking.

• 3.  RE: 200 APs, walk around with android phone and lose 5% of ping packets

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 07, 2015 08:57 AM

You might want to visit this site and link for some published best practices based on your environment.

https://ase.arubanetworks.com/solutions/id/75