Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

203R series micro USB driver error

This thread has been viewed 16 times
  • 1.  203R series micro USB driver error

Posted May 30, 2017 08:16 AM

Dear community,

I'm trying to gain console access to a 203R RAP.

When I connect the RAP to my Windows 10 machine using a generic USB 2.0 A to micro USB cord I get an error: Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed). I never see the CP210x USB to UART device showing up in my device management.

I've tested 2 RAPs from the 203 series with same results, unfortunately I don't have any other type of AP with micro USB interface at my disposal. I've also tried various drivers with no success.

http://www.silabs.com/products/development-tools/software/usb-to-uart-bridge-vcp-drivers both v6.7.4 versions

https://support.arubanetworks.com/ToolsResources/tabid/76/DMXModule/514/EntryId/7511/Default.aspx

https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-Based-WLANs/USB-Console-drivers/ta-p/239331

Anybody got any ideas to fix this issue? Do I need a special type of USB cable perhaps? 

Edit: tested a second RAP to see if the first one was faulty

• 2.  RE: 203R series micro USB driver error

Posted May 30, 2017 08:35 AM
    You need to purchase a custom USB cable , see the ordering guide
    http://www.arubanetworks.com/assets/og/OG_AP-203R.pdf

Get Outlook for iOS

• 3.  RE: 203R series micro USB driver error

Posted May 30, 2017 08:40 AM

Thanks for the quick reply, explains everything :-)

<edit> I'd like to express my frustration with Aruba's choices regarding console access. I used to be able to trust on a serial port being available. I understand there is a need for ports with a smaller footprint but please, can Aruba make a decision and stick to it! I'm now adding a third console access cable to my inventory where I used to have just one. I'm almost counting on having to add a custom BLE interface in the near future to troubleshoot Aruba products.

• 4.  RE: 203R series micro USB driver error

Posted Aug 16, 2017 05:17 AM

As I've just tried to connect to an AP-303H I have had encountered the same issue.

It would be preferable if Aruba stuck to using a standard RJ45 for console connectors. Additionally, now as noted by Udimonk I now have to buy a third cable! These are ridiculously priced for what you get. The proprietary cable i bought to be able to console into the 300 series is very flimsy and not worth the list price of £62!

Alexander.

• 5.  RE: 203R series micro USB driver error

Posted Jul 01, 2019 05:44 PM

I know this is an old thread but wonder if these cables do go bad.

We had only one and now getting this same error when I've used the cable in the past without issues. Or a Windows update broke it?

Ordering a couple of more and will verify...

• 6.  RE: 203R series micro USB driver error

Posted Jun 16, 2017 10:41 AM

Hey Victor,

The custom USB cable arrived, unfortunately I'm getting the exact same error: Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed). 

Cable label says: AP-CBL-SERU,JY728A 3.3V TTL Serial Cable

I'm submitting a ticket for technical support, will update here in case we find a solution.

• 7.  RE: 203R series micro USB driver error

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 19, 2017 07:49 PM

• 8.  RE: 203R series micro USB driver error

Posted Jun 22, 2017 04:33 AM

How do I get these installed? I tried to manually update the driver by pointing towards the unzipped folder, but windows found no drivers inside.

I discovered today that a slightly newer laptop had no issues getting the USB cable to work on the 203R. It runs a newer version of Windows 10 (version 1703 creators update) compared to mine (Version 1607)