Wireless Access

last person joined: 15 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

277 Aruba APs

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  277 Aruba APs

Posted Dec 06, 2018 06:53 PM

Hi,

I just installed 8 Aruba 277 outdoor APs in the main quad area at my company. This outdoor area is fairly rectangular in shape. I place the APs about 100 feet apart and they are about 250 feet away facing each other. Any power setting recommandtion? Thanks in advance

• 2.  RE: 277 Aruba APs

Posted Dec 06, 2018 07:28 PM

I'd let ARM work it out for me.

To give you a specific recommendation (different from ARM) I'd need to know how many, and what kind of clients you are planning for, and what applications they are expecting to run.

Once ARM has them the way it wants them, I'd tune to resolve specific issues as they come up.

• 3.  RE: 277 Aruba APs

Posted Dec 07, 2018 01:56 AM

I am more asking for recommendations for Min Transmit/Max Transmit Power Levels. 

• 4.  RE: 277 Aruba APs

Posted Dec 07, 2018 11:09 AM

That's the point of "Adaptive Radio Management" the APs will adapt their signal strength and channel to fit Aruba's calculation of an ideal coverage.

If it works in your environment, then I wouldn't add any settings adjustment - why muddy the troubleshooting process later?

• 5.  RE: 277 Aruba APs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 28, 2019 06:45 PM

It would be good to look at the arrangement on a map to get both an idea of scale and AP-to-AP proximity. But generally outdoor you want louder RF, even at the expense of additional ACI/CCI. The main reason is strong SNR tends to keep clients happy and not trying to roam. If the signal gets low, the clients start looking to roam and going off channel is extremely disruptive. You could start with 18-24 (min/max) and see how it goes. If you see all your clients at high MCS rates and the APs are still at a max/min but no major issues, you could go down on each side to maybe 20-15, and monitor. If you see APs on the low end of the MIN and clients are low MCS< maybe you slightly raise the power. But in general I like to default the APs outside up by about 6dB.