Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

305 low power mode issue Alcatel 6450 and Cisco 3560G

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  305 low power mode issue Alcatel 6450 and Cisco 3560G

Posted Aug 03, 2017 03:38 PM

Dear Community Members,

I am doing an install of Aruba WiFi at a site, which has a mixture of Alcatel switches and Cisco Switches.

The Cisco switch they have is: 3560G-48PS-S

The Alcatel switch they have is: 6450-P48

This site has deployed AP-305’s everywhere. The Alcatel support 802.3at and the Cisco support 802.3af.

The problem I am having is that any AP that is plugged into the Cisco switch is running in power save mode.

If I take the same AP and plug it into the Alcatel switches they do not run in power save mode and run normally.

I have LLDP enabled on the Cisco switch not on the Alcatel switch. I turned this on to determine what the power consumption is of the AP.

On the Alcatel switch an AP 305 is consuming 6.7Watts and on the Cisco switch it is consuming 15Watts.

I have tried maxing out the power on the Cisco switch port, but this has made no difference.

Could you please confirm the following for me:

• Why is AP’s plugged into Alcatel switches using less power, but are running with no power issues?
    • Why is the AP’s on the Cisco switch using twice as much power, but running in low power mode?
    • As the AP’s are in low power mode, are any performances issues being experienced? I.e is 2.4/5GHz affected or do I have less spatial streams?
    • Would installing a 802.3at switch resolve this issue?

I look forward to your responses.

Many Thanks,

• 2.  RE: 305 low power mode issue Alcatel 6450 and Cisco 3560G

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 03, 2017 04:38 PM

My guess would be an issue with Cisco firmware, we've seen lots of cases with LLDP bugs in Cisco switches in properly negotiating power consumption with LLDP. However, the APs should run fine on 802.3af power.

Where/what are you looking at when you see power save mode for the APs? Low power mode on the AP just disabled the USB interface, which I'm sure you're not using.

• 3.  RE: 305 low power mode issue Alcatel 6450 and Cisco 3560G

Posted Aug 03, 2017 04:44 PM
    Jerrod,

With POE (802.3af), the radios don't scale down on a 305 like the 225s do?

• 4.  RE: 305 low power mode issue Alcatel 6450 and Cisco 3560G

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 03, 2017 04:59 PM

Not according to the DS.

• 5.  RE: 305 low power mode issue Alcatel 6450 and Cisco 3560G

Posted Aug 03, 2017 05:07 PM
    That's what I thought. Was trying to make sure.

Pasquale Monardo
    Conseiller Principal Solution Réseaux, Opération | Senior Network Solutions Consultant, Operation

T 514 385-4448 #204 DATAVALET.COM

5275, chemin Queen-Mary, Montréal (Québec) H3W 1Y3 Canada

CE COURRIEL AINSI QUE CES DOCUMENTS JOINTS peuvent contenir des renseignements confidentiels et privilégiés. Si vous n’êtes pas le destinataire désigné, veuillez nous en informer immédiatement et effacer toute copie. Merci. THIS EMAIL AND THE DOCUMENTS ATTACHED may contain privileged or confidential information. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and delete the original message. Thank you.

• 6.  RE: 305 low power mode issue Alcatel 6450 and Cisco 3560G

Posted Aug 07, 2017 07:57 AM
      |   view attached

Hi,

I understand the explanation of the new firmware that may resolve the issue.

As my colleagues has also advised me that this has been seen recently.

Do you have any idea what firmware should the Cisco switch be running?

I have attached an output from one of the APs at the site that is in low power mode.

I believe only the USB port is disabled, however, can you confirm this for me please?

Attachment(s)

txt
    ap-power.txt   44 KB 1 version

• 7.  RE: 305 low power mode issue Alcatel 6450 and Cisco 3560G

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 07, 2017 08:27 AM
    Power Status
    ------------
    Item                        Value
    ----                        -----
    Power Supply                : POE-AF
    LLDP Power                  : 0.0W
    Current Operational State   : USB port disabled

The only restriction is that the USB port is disabled while 802.3af is being provided.  If one of the radios were disabled or at lower power, it would say so in the "Current Operational State" section.  There is no advantage to powering this device using AT unless you are using the USB port.