Wireless Access

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor I

3200MX with 105 APs

I know I know these are old and ancient and not supported, but I was hoping for some advice beyond throw them away and replace them. :)

I inherited a setup at a mall that we need to get working for a short period of time before we can replace the gear. The controller was reset to factory default by the previous IT. The APs are all mounted on the ceiling around 25' up so it's not like we can press a reset button...

So... is there any possible way to resetup the controller, and have it aquire and reset the 105 aps to be managed by the controller? We have 22 of these, and management doesn't want get a lift, they just wanted to work.

On note: In the Network/All Access Points screen of the Controller I see all 22 APs with the static IPs and the status is down.

Any suggestions besides get a lift and hard reset each AP?

Highlighted
MVP

Re: 3200MX with 105 APs

does the controller have the necesary AP and PEFNG licenses?

If a reply adequately addresses your issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution"
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor I

Good Question. I am sure it did at one point. It looks like when the previous IT company left, they defaulted the controller on the way out the door.

I was able to find what might have been a running config at one point, but don't know about the age.

From what I can tell, I have a key for 16 APs, and a Key for 8 APs installed. Also I have 2 Next Generation Poli.... listings so I assume this is for the PFEng. Expires are set to never.

So yes, I believe we have the licenses.

Highlighted
Guru Elite

Type "dir" on the commandline of the controller and see if there is a "flashbackup.tar.gz" file.  If it does, type "restore flash" and reboot the controller (DO NOT save the configuration or do a write mem before rebooting).  That might restore the controller in the previous state (you will have to use the password recovery method to get back into it, however).

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Remote Access Point Solution Guide
ArubaOS Consolidated Release Notes
ArubaOS 8 ViA VPN Solution Guide
Highlighted
MVP Guru

What may help as well is if you can capture the AP's traffic, to see how it determines the controller IP and which controller IP it tries to connect to (port 8211 or 4500). If you make the controller available on that IP address, there is a good chance that you will see the APs joining the controller again. 

--
If you have urgent issues, please contact your Aruba partner or Aruba TAC (click for contact details).
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor I

Right now, I have the system up enough to restore the configuration through the gui. I am not at the location, so I wouldn't be able to recover the password since you need to do that via the console port. Also I am pretty sure they wiped the cisco the feeds this controller so any vlan'ing that was configured would probably disable my connection, let alone not knowing the IP. We might send someone on site with a USB to console cable and plug it into the console of the Aruba Controller if we have to. Trying to work remote on this one :(

On another note, I think I might have found a running config at one point.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor I

Based on the picture attached I think the IP was: 10.245.214.130. This is the IP that is called the Switch IP. I found what i think is a running config from the 3200MX controller. In this case, we just need to configure it enough to gain controller of the APs.

If I know the IP address of what the controller used to be, x.130 what would I need to configure on the Controller to allow the APs to think they are connecting and controllable?

Our goal is to get control again without resetting them by pysically pressing a button. All IPs/SSID/etc can be changed and wil lbe changed at this point. :) This is my first time working with Aurba gear.

Highlighted
MVP Guru

If you have your licenses active, make sure you have a vlan with the IP 10.245.214.130/24 IP address and make sure that VLAN is the 'controller VLAN'. The controller VLAN is set on the Network > Controller > System Settings (on 6.5, and think that didn't change from earlier versions). Also, do you have an AP-group configured 'Rouse-ap_group'? It could be that the AP doesn't come up if that AP-group is not present.

Ideally, you should work with Aruba TAC or someone who has experience with this as it is much easier if you understand the discovery process and can read the logs. Also, to plan the changes after you regained control may benefit from such knowledge.

Also, check in Configuration > Wireless > AP Installation > Provisioning if the APs might be visible there. You need to see them there in order to reprovision the APs. I would, when possible, move from static to DHCP addresses and dynamic master/controller discovery where DNS (aruba-master) is a flexible one to get to a new configuration.

--
If you have urgent issues, please contact your Aruba partner or Aruba TAC (click for contact details).
Highlighted
MVP Guru

Please note that the 3200XM has a RJ45 serial console port, not USB. The famous 'blue RJ45 serial cables' will work fine. With today's PCs you probably will need a USB to serial adapter, but that is nothing different than a lot of other network equipment. If that is what you mean with USB cable, it is all fine.

--
Highlighted
MVP Expert
MVP Expert

One tip, save your license if they are not hardcoded.

# show license

The keys can be re-used on the same hardware after erase anything. But when not saved and loose the licenses your cant restore them whitout the HPN account of the previous owner.

Kind Regards Marcel Koedijk
HPE ASE Flexnetwork | ACMP | ACCP | Ekahau ECSE Design - Was this post usefull, Kudos are welcome.
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: