Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

6.1.2.5 Master with 6.1.3.5 Local

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  6.1.2.5 Master with 6.1.3.5 Local

Posted Oct 22, 2012 11:29 AM

Hi All,

Where I know that it's best to keep masters and locals on the same code version is it possible to have a 6.1.2.5 Master with 6.1.3.5 Local?

Reason why I ask is because a customer is experiencing an issue and I want to see if it is still present after an upgrade. The issue isn't mentioned in the release notes however I'd like to test this anyway.

FYI the issue is that iOS 6 devices are unable to register when they are connected to the guest network. The only thing blocked in the guest role is access to the customers corporate network, all other traffic is allowed. There's a proxy inline but as the traffic is source NATed and due to the number of clients connected it's difficult to see if the traffic is getting to the proxy or not.

Will check the datapath session for the client on the local controller as soon as I get access to it.

Cheers
    James

• 2.  RE: 6.1.2.5 Master with 6.1.3.5 Local

Posted Oct 22, 2012 07:37 PM

Hello

Okay Master and local cannot have different MAJOR version.. this is not the case here but still i ll mention you that...

Now  between code revisions, command structure can be different(i dont know in this specific scenario with those revisions)... the local will not understand the configuration  that the master is sending to it when you click save configuration and when the database are syncronizing, which can makes things goes bad...

Also if there is a configuration error or something liek that,  and if for some reason those aps on the local can contact the master, you will see an issue of upgrade/downgrade loop...

I would not recommend doing that...

Just my 2 cents...

You can wait what Collin or Another aruba expert recommends...

• 3.  RE: 6.1.2.5 Master with 6.1.3.5 Local

Posted Oct 23, 2012 04:26 AM

Thanks for the reply. 

I was aware of the major version stipulation but just wondered if anyone had experience of these code version. 

No APs terminate on the master controllers in this deployment so thankfully no chance of the loop issue you mentioned. :smileyhappy:

• 4.  RE: 6.1.2.5 Master with 6.1.3.5 Local

Posted Oct 23, 2012 04:43 AM

Well i just can tell you what i have read about this before...

I got this kind of setting... but i never put it on different codes... i always put it on the same code.... personally never did the test in a production network as i never read that is recommended...

• 5.  RE: 6.1.2.5 Master with 6.1.3.5 Local

Posted Oct 23, 2012 12:34 PM

Between 6.1.2.5 and 6.1.3.5, there are many changes made in the code and default config. Changes include:

1. CSD override / Single chain legacy option is by default enabled from 6.1.3.2 code.

2. Changes mande for Non-Wi-Fi interference immunity feature in 6.1.3.2

3. Suppress ARP and broadcast filter arp features are by default enabled from 6.1.3.2

4. Changes in WMS config from 6.1.3.2

5. SW Retry is renamed to Temporal Diversity

Apart from this few more changes made on CLI as well. Considering all these differences, IMO, you should avoid such code differeces on master and local.

• 6.  RE: 6.1.2.5 Master with 6.1.3.5 Local

Posted Oct 25, 2012 08:34 AM

Thanks for the info. :)