Wireless Access

last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

6.1.2.6 and Option 43

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  6.1.2.6 and Option 43

Posted Jan 05, 2012 11:30 AM

I am having an issue with 6.1.2.6 and using Option 43.

We are starting with a 3600 master/local controller setup with 5.0.3.2.  In this state both an AP105 and a AP125 set up as remote AP's are able to utilize option 43 to get their master IP and come up without issue.

When I upgrade the controllers, first the master and then the local, the AP's come online and do their upgrade.  But after the upgrade has finished and the AP's reboot they never come back online.  When I look at the console I see the following error:

10.20.248.12 255.255.255.192 10.20.248.1

Running ADP...cat: /tmp/master: No such file or directory

Done. Master is

cat: /etc/syslog.conf: No such file or directory

killall: nanny: no process killed

killall: sapd: no process killed

Sending SIGKILL to all processes.

Please stand by while rebooting the system.

Restarting system.                 

It dosent look like the AP is able to utilize the Option 43 information. 

Has anyone seen this?                         

• 2.  RE: 6.1.2.6 and Option 43

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 05, 2012 11:32 AM

When you say Remote AP, are you saying that these are provisioned as certificate-based, or IPSEC PSK raps, or are they just regular access points on the network?  Do other APs work on this subnet, like new APs BEFORE they get upgraded to 6.1.2.6?

To troubleshoot, please stop the APs at the apboot> prompt on the console and type DHCP.  You should see it obtain an ip address, and if it finds a controller via DHCP.  Try this with a "new" or purged AP, as well.

• 3.  RE: 6.1.2.6 and Option 43

Posted Jan 05, 2012 11:34 AM

they are being provisioned as a cert based remote access point.

we currently are testing with 3 AP's (2 105's and 1 125).  All 3 AP's function normally until we upgrade to 6.1.2.6 and then they will not come back online after their upgrade, unless we hardcode a master IP in the boot param.

• 4.  RE: 6.1.2.6 and Option 43

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 05, 2012 11:44 AM

@mhochwender wrote:

they are being provisioned as a cert based remote access point.

we currently are testing with 3 AP's (2 105's and 1 125).  All 3 AP's function normally until we upgrade to 6.1.2.6 and then they will not come back online after their upgrade, unless we hardcode a master IP in the boot param.

I have to say, that I have never seen a Remote AP deployment where the masterip address or dns name has NOT been part of the provisioning process.  The provisioning instructions in the user guide state that you have to put the master ip address in for the RAP when provisioning.   This might be one of those things that might have just worked in 5.x, but no longer does in 6.x, since the instructions say otherwise.

From the user guide:

"

1. In the Master Discovery section, set the Master IP Address.

•   For a campus AP or a remote AP on a private network, enter the controller’s IP address

•   For a Remote AP with the controller on a public network, enter the controller’s public IP address

•   For a remote AP with a controller behind a firewall, enter the public address of the NAT device to which the controller is connected 

Other parameters are listed as "optional" but this one is not....

EDIT:  If you have downgraded back to 5.x to "fix" the issue, you can add a provisioning profile to that AP-group first to write the master ip address into the flash of those devices, then upgrade and it will fix your issue.

• 5.  RE: 6.1.2.6 and Option 43

Posted Jan 05, 2012 01:35 PM

Our deployment is a RAP5 with an AP105 behind it as a remote AP.

What we are trying to do is remove a DNS resolution for our Master VRRP address, that is getting ready to change, and utilize option 43. 

The documentation that I have gone over says that any hard coded variables in the provisioning params take precedence over the option 43 offering...so in order to utilize option 43 you have to remove the hard coded master settings from the AP.

What is concerning us is the inability of an AP to process the same Option 43 information on 6.1.2.6 as it does on 5.0.3.2

• 6.  RE: 6.1.2.6 and Option 43

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 05, 2012 02:56 PM

Please open a case, so that this can get sorted out.

• 7.  RE: 6.1.2.6 and Option 43

Posted Feb 14, 2013 12:42 PM

This exact problem just happened to me. The IAP was converted to an CAP (105's btw), and it actually came up via DHCP. THEN after 5 mins it just kept re-booting. I consoled into the AP and the following error kept popping up:

'cat: /etc/syslog.conf: No such file or directory' 

So I purged that AP using the following commands:

purgeenv

saveenv

boot

And it rebooted, got an IP via DHCP, found the master, and now works fine. Purges and reboots usually fixes MOST AP problems when they don't boot. :/

• 8.  RE: 6.1.2.6 and Option 43

Posted Jul 01, 2013 07:46 PM

hi,

did anybody end up resolving this issue? i am seeing similar thingd with AP-225 on 6.3. DHCP option 43 is not being read and AP defaults to ADP.

Scott

• 9.  RE: 6.1.2.6 and Option 43

Posted Jul 01, 2013 07:59 PM
    We actually were to use dhcp option 43 with an AP 225 and it worked , we are using dhcpd.

But we have adp disabled on the controller.

Have you tried disabling adp on the controller ? Does option 43 works with another type of AP ?

But of course dhcp option 43 should be preferred vs adp

• 10.  RE: 6.1.2.6 and Option 43

Posted Jul 01, 2013 08:10 PM

HI Victor,

Thanks for the quick reply.

We are using ArubaOS 6.3 with AP-225 and windows 2008 server for DHCP.

I've tried disabling ADP and still no discovery. The AP just reboots with the following message:

ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): bond0: link becomes ready

10.84.143.62 255.255.255.0 10.84.143.1

Running ADP...cat: /tmp/master: No such file or directory

Done. Master is

killall: nanny: no process killed

killall: sapd: no process killed

Sending SIGKILL to all processes.

Please stand by while rebooting the system.

Restarting system.

• 11.  RE: 6.1.2.6 and Option 43

Posted Jul 01, 2013 08:31 PM

Is this worked with another AOS before ? and if you haven't to could probably downgrade and test to see if dhcp option 43 works.

I would test with another AP too.

Do you have installed the latest release ? I experienced some issues intially but it wasn't particular to a type of AP but it was resolved in a later release.

Your best bet is to open a TAC case since 6.3 is fairly new.

• 12.  RE: 6.1.2.6 and Option 43

Posted Jul 01, 2013 09:12 PM

Hi Victor,

We found the problem after much testing and packet capturing.

The problem was the option in the windows server had a leading space so was inserting an ascii (hex 00) character in front of the ip address and this was preventing the dhcp discovery from working.

Once we identified this we removed the error and it works fine.

little things....

thanks for your help!

scott

• 13.  RE: 6.1.2.6 and Option 43

Posted Jul 01, 2013 09:21 PM

Nice!!! is always the little things .