Wireless Access

last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

6.x to 8.x config generator needed to create lab/dev environment

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  6.x to 8.x config generator needed to create lab/dev environment

Posted Jul 25, 2017 10:30 AM

I’m trying to spin up a 8.x lab but I’m stuck in the migration phase. jhoward mentioned in his presentation at Atmosphere that a tool that would allow you to generate an 8.x config from a 6.x config would be available soon. The migration tool doesn’t seem to allow for this and since I’m not ready to migrate without testing on a lab environment and I’ve already upgraded to 8.1.0.1 which blew away the old config on my lab controller anyways my only option seems to be recreate the config by hand. We have a pretty hefty config that will take considerable time if I have to go that route. Basically I need to generate the config from production without migrating so I can use on the lab / devolpment environment. Hopefully the tool is available through partners or the support site soon if not already. Any info anyone can share on the tool and when it will become available would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

• 2.  RE: 6.x to 8.x config generator needed to create lab/dev environment

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 25, 2017 11:02 AM

That is currently being worked on with a planned release for AOS 8.2 (sorry, it's taking a lot longer to develop). So right now it would be more or less a manual re-build unless you can dig up a spare local controller. If you can, and you are plannong on using an MM, you could hang the spare local off your existing master, stand up your MM, then migrate the local using the master (but not actually migrating the master itself), so that you would have an MM and MD migrated from your existing deployment with no downtime. 

The catch is you need the VMM and a spare local.

• 3.  RE: 6.x to 8.x config generator needed to create lab/dev environment

Posted Jul 25, 2017 01:19 PM

Thanks Jerrod thats go to know. Now my question would be is there an ETA 8.2?

• 4.  RE: 6.x to 8.x config generator needed to create lab/dev environment

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 25, 2017 01:43 PM

End of Aug is the target to the best of my knowledge, but not firm date yet. I will start testing the 8.2 tool later this week (am waiting on an updated build). 

• 5.  RE: 6.x to 8.x config generator needed to create lab/dev environment

Posted Jul 26, 2017 08:38 AM

Thanks for all the info! If you're looking for volunteers to test the new build of the tool I'd be happy to help : )