Wireless Access

last person joined: 13 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

6000 Controller CPU

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  6000 Controller CPU

Posted Jun 11, 2014 11:11 AM

Before I open up a TAC case, is there a known issue with the 6000 controller's high CPU running AOS 3.4.5.1 ?

• 2.  RE: 6000 Controller CPU

Posted Jun 11, 2014 11:54 AM

Can you define what is "high" for you?  How many APs are terminating on the controller?

Also, is this an M3 or a Sup-2?   Are you by chance using a 2048-bit certificate on the box (Captive Portal)?   If so, see Colin's post here:  http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Unified-Wired-Wireless-Access/Aruba6000-Version-3-4-5-1-Switched-form-1024-to-2048-bit-cert/m-p/86138/highlight/true#M15296

• 3.  RE: 6000 Controller CPU

Posted Jun 11, 2014 12:31 PM

We're using the M3's terminating 395 APs. I noticed that the CPU fluctuates between mid-90s and mid-30s (what I mean by this is when I do a show cpuload the “user” percentage is very high leaving the “idle” very low with the system between 1.4 - 1.9). Also, what is the "user" on the controller referring to when I do a show cpuload? Is it user traffic or the user logged into the controller?

• 4.  RE: 6000 Controller CPU

Posted Jun 11, 2014 02:58 PM

user = % of controller CPU resources used by application processes

system = % of controller CPU resources used by system processes

idle = % of unused controller CPU resources

The following is taken from the Mobility Controller VRD.  If you want to have a detailed analysis done, pursue your TAC case and see what they have to say specific to your version, etc.

The organization should consider the CPU to be highly utilized at 70% (begin monitoring regularly) and considered critical at 100% (being investigating) over a 5-minute period. Alternatively, consider using AirWave to track average CPU utilization over time.  If the CPU utilization is sustained or regularly spikes above these thresholds, consider an upgrade  to add capacity to the system

• 5.  RE: 6000 Controller CPU

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 16, 2014 10:48 AM

hi cdj

3.4.x is end of support, you may have a hard time getting some love, if so, please paste here

show cpuload current

show processes sort-by cpu

show datapath utilization

do you have captive portal by any chance ?

regards

-jeff