Wireless Access

last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

620 Controller cannot set port power over ethernet

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  620 Controller cannot set port power over ethernet

Posted Feb 17, 2015 03:12 PM

I have a 620 controller, updated to 6.4.2.4, with a seemingly valid PoE license, that will not deliver power.

Attempting to issue a poe or no poe command on ports FE1/0 through FE1/3 gets the error "cannot set Port Power Over Ethernet" and fails.  Any ideas what might be going on?

output of show poe:

PoE Status
    ----------
    Port Status Voltage(mV) Current(mA) Power (mW)
    ---- ------ ----------- ----------- ----------
    FE1/0 Off N/A N/A N/A
    FE1/1 Off N/A N/A N/A
    FE1/2 Off N/A N/A N/A
    FE1/3 Off N/A N/A N/A

• 2.  RE: 620 Controller cannot set port power over ethernet

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 17, 2015 03:35 PM

If you connect an AP, does it power up?  What is the output of show license?

• 3.  RE: 620 Controller cannot set port power over ethernet

Posted Feb 17, 2015 04:54 PM

Might be licensing. I know that when I had a 620 we did a "write erase all" and ended up having to contact support because we accidentally deleted the licenses that allow you to enable PoE. 

Here is a link to a similar post to what I experienced. 

• 4.  RE: 620 Controller cannot set port power over ethernet

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 17, 2015 04:56 PM

• 5.  RE: 620 Controller cannot set port power over ethernet

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 17, 2015 05:01 PM
    That's it. Please contact support to get the Poe license key and reapply it. You may also try yourself at licensing.arubanetworks.com

• 6.  RE: 620 Controller cannot set port power over ethernet

Posted Feb 17, 2015 05:32 PM

@leggettbc wrote:

PoE Status
    ----------
    Port Status Voltage(mV) Current(mA) Power (mW)
    ---- ------ ----------- ----------- ----------
    FE1/0 Off N/A N/A N/A
    FE1/1 Off N/A N/A N/A
    FE1/2 Off N/A N/A N/A
    FE1/3 Off N/A N/A N/A

This out put is normal when nothing is plugged in.     When you plug something in, does the output change?   As the others have mentioned, confirm you have your POE license installed.   If you run "show port status", you'll also see whether it is licensed:

(620) #show port status

Port Status
    -----------
    Slot-Port  PortType  adminstate  operstate  poe         Trusted  SpanningTree  PortMode
    ---------  --------  ----------  ---------  ---         -------  ------------  --------
    1/0        FE        Enabled     Down       Unlicensed  No       Disabled      Access
    1/1        FE        Enabled     Down       Unlicensed  No       Disabled      Access
    1/2        FE        Enabled     Down       Unlicensed  No       Disabled      Access
    1/3        FE        Enabled     Down       Unlicensed  No       Disabled      Access

However, if it is not licensed, the POE commands on the interface will not work at all.    I've never seen those messages you mentioned, even when not licensed for POE.   If you confirm you have the license installed and it persists after a reboot, I'd open a TAC case.

• 7.  RE: 620 Controller cannot set port power over ethernet

Posted Feb 19, 2015 10:41 AM

The controller has a license.  As I mentioned in the OP, it appears to be valid.  The output of show license confirms that it has a PoE license.  I've tried deleting and readding the license, but that doesn't help.  With the license deleted, the show poe command doesn't work.  With it there, it does work.  

Best guess, based on some anecdotal information from another engineer here, is that the PoE module on the controller is fried.  

We'll try the TAC route to get it RMA'ed.  

• 8.  RE: 620 Controller cannot set port power over ethernet

Posted Feb 20, 2015 07:51 PM

Have you install PoE licence ?!

in Aruba 600 Serie controller you need the PoE licence to activate this feature in the in  related ports

• 9.  RE: 620 Controller cannot set port power over ethernet

Posted Feb 20, 2015 08:00 PM
    I'm sorry, but did you read my previous posts? I really like the Airheads community, but sometimes the responses seem like they have been made without reading any other comments.

• 10.  RE: 620 Controller cannot set port power over ethernet

Posted Feb 20, 2015 08:26 PM

Sorry i haven't read your post !!