Wireless Access

Highlighted
Contributor II

Re: 7005 vs. 9004 MC

Hi Marcel,

can you confirm that the 9004 Gateway can work as a standalone controller?

I see it's mentioned in the datasheets but it also infers that a Mobility Master might be needed, could you please clarify this for me?

Best regards,

Aarón

Highlighted
MVP Expert

Hi Aaron,

The 9004 can be used as standalone controller with or without a MM.

Regards,

Julian

Highlighted
MVP Expert
MVP Expert

There is SD-WAN and Controller based firmware. When you install the controller firmware you can run a 9004 in standalone mode without the need of a Aruba Mobility Master.

• SD-WAN Mode – Aruba Central Foundation or Foundation Base Licenses (9004 and 9012 are supported)
  • ­ Controller Mode – AP License (9004 supported as of ArubaOS 8.5, and 9012 will be supported in a later release)

When you flashed the controller through Aruba Cloud Central it will install the SD-WAN firmware. You can download the controller based firmware here; https://asp.arubanetworks.com/downloads/software/RmlsZTo2NTRiMzdmNi03NmI0LTExZWEtOTY0NC0xMzRlYzBjMzEwNzg%3D

Kind Regards Marcel Koedijk
HPE ASE Flexnetwork | ACMP | ACCP | Ekahau ECSE Design - Was this post usefull, Kudos are welcome.
Highlighted
Contributor II

Thank you

Highlighted
MVP Expert
MVP Expert

In this topic you see a image of working 9004 controller image (with mobility master) ;). MM is not required for a standalone controller!

https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Wireless-Access/Standalone-9004-or-7005-with-8-5-0-X-all-version-ALE-error/td-p/655527

In the 9004 datasheets you can find your clear statement Also how many AP can be terminated in controller mode.

https://www.arubanetworks.com/assets/ds/DS_9000Series.pdf

7005 = 16 AP's

9004 =  32 AP's

Capture.JPG

The 9004 controller is excellent choice ;;)).

HPE ASE Flexnetwork | ACMP | ACCP | Ekahau ECSE Design - Was this post usefull, Kudos are welcome.
Highlighted
New Contributor

Does anyone know default firmware of Aruba 9004? SD-Wan or Controller ?

Highlighted
MVP Guru

Not sure what you mean by default firmware but the minimmum required firmware for the 9004 is depedant on the model and mode.

9004/9004-LTE

9004: SD-WAN R1.7 (default) and
Aruba Central 2.5.x in SD-WAN
mode, or support started with
8.5.0.5 in Mobility Controller mode.

9004-LTE: SD-WAN R2.1 (default)
and Aruba Central 2.5.1 in

SD-WAN R2.0 (default) and Aruba
Central 2.5.x in SD-WAN mode,
ArubaOS (Future) in Mobility
Controller mode
SD-WAN mode

ACMP, ACSA, ACDX #985
If my post addresses your query, give kudos:)
Highlighted
New Contributor

Sorry for making you confused. I mean default mode. It comes with  SD-WAN mode or Mobility Controller mode?  Thanks for your answers

Highlighted
New Contributor

Sept 2020 - Current Shipped Software

Aruba 9004ArubaOS_8.5.0.0-1.0.7.1_72342SD-WAN
Aruba 9004-LTEArubaOS_8.5.0.0-2.1.0.0_75359SD-WAN
Aruba 9012ArubaOS_8.5.0.0-2.0.0.4_75023SD-WAN
Highlighted
MVP Expert
MVP Expert

When a controller comes out of the box you can do normal "full-setup" whatever what firmware (sd-branch or campus) is used.

When subscribed the licence an provisioned in Aruba Central, Central will push de SD-Branch firmware version (it's not manual downloadable on the ASP website).

When it was configured to Aruba Central SD-Branch and you want to go back to Campus mode, just do a "write erase all" on the controllers and (quickly;) de-subscribe the licence in Aruba Central so it will not be automatic configured through activate.arubanetworks.com ;).

After do the "full-setup" again, mentioned that the SD-Branch firmware can't run a commando like "show switchinfo". At this point you need to load the campus firmware which can be download from asp.arubanetworks.com website.

(host)# copy ftp: <ftphost> <ftpusername> <image filename> system: partition <0|1>

or

(host)# copy tftp: <tftphost> <image filename> system: partition <0|1>

or

(host)# copy scp: <scphost> <scpusername> <image filename> system: partition <0|1>

Iam not sure what firmware is used out-of-the-box, but i think its the campus firmware because de SD-branch firmware is pushed from Aruba Central after provining.

In my HomeLAB i have  2x9004 in Campus Mode with ArubaOS 8.6.0.5 (L2 Clustered).

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: