Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

7200 controller.

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  7200 controller.

Posted Jan 20, 2015 04:23 PM

Looking to slowly replace my old Enterasys equipment by Arubas and since I am new to this equipment I have a few questions.

I currently have a two Entrasys wifi controllers to manage approx. 550 APs. Roighly 275 per controller. Each controller has its own management vlan as does each APs associated to them. Clients and their devices do not have access to this vlan.

From each controller I then assign which data vlan / ssid I want to go to which AP. These are then used by our clients and their devices. Some of these data vlans are present on only one of the controllers whereas some are on both depending on the situation. Some specific data vlans are also on one controller and even on only one AP. Again depending on the situation.

Can I do the same with an Aruba 7200 controller ? Can I put the controller and related APs all under the same management vlan ? 

If there is one, what is the best practice ?

Since I'm starting from scratch with Aruba I want to make sure I do at least the basics right.

Thanks for the info.

• 2.  RE: 7200 controller.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 20, 2015 04:36 PM

claude@laurentian.ca wrote:

Looking to slowly replace my old Enterasys equipment by Arubas and since I am new to this equipment I have a few questions.

I currently have a two Entrasys wifi controllers to manage approx. 550 APs. Roighly 275 per controller. Each controller has its own management vlan as does each APs associated to them. Clients and their devices do not have access to this vlan.

From each controller I then assign which data vlan / ssid I want to go to which AP. These are then used by our clients and their devices. Some of these data vlans are present on only one of the controllers whereas some are on both depending on the situation. Some specific data vlans are also on one controller and even on only one AP. Again depending on the situation.

Can I do the same with an Aruba 7200 controller ? Can I put the controller and related APs all under the same management vlan ?   The Controllers and the access points can be in the same, or separate VLANs.  The access point requirement is that they are able to reach the ip address of the controller that they terminate on.  Both controllers can be on separate VLANs, as long as they can reach each other to synchronize configurations.

If there is one, what is the best practice ?  There is no real best practice concerning this.  it is best that all network components can reach each other.   Please read the Aruba Mobility Controllers VRD on the page here:  http://www.arubanetworks.com/resources/reference-design-guides/ for more ideas.

Since I'm starting from scratch with Aruba I want to make sure I do at least the basics right.

Thanks for the info.