Wireless Access

last person joined: 9 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

7200 redundant license

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  7200 redundant license

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 11, 2015 04:42 PM

Hi Team,

We are working for a customer that requires 1000 AP and is looking for a redundant controller solution. Now keeping the future scalability option in mind, i think we should go with 7240 with 1024 licenses as of now. But i need to understand how redundant licensing will work ? if the second controller is just the backup of the primary controller, which license do we need to support as many APs as supported by primary controller.

Please guide me

• 2.  RE: 7200 redundant license

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 11, 2015 04:44 PM
    Licensing is shared across the controllers. You just need total AP count licenses.

• 3.  RE: 7200 redundant license

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 11, 2015 04:47 PM

So if i take 2 7240. I just need to buy 1 lic-1024-AP ?

In case primary 7240 fails, the backup will automatically support 1000 APs ?

• 4.  RE: 7200 redundant license
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 11, 2015 04:50 PM
    Yes, that is correct

• 5.  RE: 7200 redundant license

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 11, 2015 04:51 PM

Thanks alot Tim

• 6.  RE: 7200 redundant license

Posted Dec 03, 2015 04:58 AM

Hi Team,

As per the Mobility controller VRD " For two sets of mobility controllers, two sets of licenses are required" in Active/Active & Active /Standby redundancy models. 

Does this means if I am proposing two 7240 controllers in 1:1 redundancy for a 1500 APs network, then I would require 1500 s/w license in each controller, that means total 3000 licenses?

Regards

Sibi John

• 7.  RE: 7200 redundant license

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 03, 2015 05:03 AM
    Hi Sibi,

You can go with centralized licensing, making one of the controller a master controller (which will become licensing server). In this way, you can have 1 set of 1500 licenses only, which will be distributed to local controllers when needed.

Its kind of a central repository

Best Regards

Ovais Iqbal
    HP MASE Infrastructure / CCIE # 37956 (R&S)

• 8.  RE: 7200 redundant license

Posted Dec 03, 2015 05:26 AM

Hi Ovais,

Thanks for replying.

I am working for a solution where total number of APs are 2800 and controllers will be placed in two sites in 1:1 active/standby redundancy model (4 controllers in total). Each location will handle 50% of the traffic. Now for licensing I understand, we need total 5600 AP license distributed as 1400 in each of the 4 controller.

From Master/Local controller architecture with central licensing repository, I would require two 7240 Master controller for licenseing and additional 4 local controllers distributed  in 1:1 model in  2 sites.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Regards

Sibi John

• 9.  RE: 7200 redundant license

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 03, 2015 05:36 AM

To save cost, you can designate one set of controllers as master controller. Configure them active/standby, with primary being the licensing server and backup being the backup licensing server. Use VRRP to provide redundancy so that if master fails, AP fallback to the backup. This set will also provide licensing service to the second set who will act as locals only.

Another way of doing it is, like you said, add another controller (not 2 but just one) so that even if it fails, the controllers will have licenses available to them for 30 days. Enough time to get back the master controller. Please note that all other controllers will be local.

• 10.  RE: 7200 redundant license

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 03, 2015 05:45 AM

@John1984 wrote:

Hi Team,

As per the Mobility controller VRD " For two sets of mobility controllers, two sets of licenses are required" in Active/Active & Active /Standby redundancy models. 

Does this means if I am proposing two 7240 controllers in 1:1 redundancy for a 1500 APs network, then I would require 1500 s/w license in each controller, that means total 3000 licenses?

Regards

Sibi John

Sibi John,

The mobility controller VRD precedes the Centralized Licensing Feature introduced in ArubaOS 6.3.  If you are proposing a 1:1 redundancy, you would simply configure the controllers as master/backup master or master/local and turn on Centralized licensing on the master and you are done.  The two controllers would pool all of their licenses.