Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

7205 Standalone Controller - OS 8

This thread has been viewed 11 times
  • 1.  7205 Standalone Controller - OS 8

Posted Jun 27, 2018 09:32 PM

Hi Champs,

With OS8, can we configure 7205 as standalone Mobility Controller?

or do we need Mobility Master as well?

Thanks.

• 2.  RE: 7205 Standalone Controller - OS 8

Posted Jun 27, 2018 10:03 PM
    Standalone configuration is possible.
    It can be selected when setting up in os8.0 version.

• 3.  RE: 7205 Standalone Controller - OS 8

Posted Jun 27, 2018 11:13 PM

Thanks Ohsung.Kim,

We would need to configure the Access Points with an IP Address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway. Also need to configure the controller IP Address on the APs.

Would you advise if this could be done using GUI or CLI?

Thanks.

• 4.  RE: 7205 Standalone Controller - OS 8

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 05, 2018 04:16 PM

@dot1x wrote:

Thanks Ohsung.Kim,

We would need to configure the Access Points with an IP Address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway. Also need to configure the controller IP Address on the APs.

Would you advise if this could be done using GUI or CLI?

Thanks.

I strongly recommend using DHCP to assign IP information to APs. While it's possible to do this manually, dynamic provides more flexibility when changes need to be made.

• 5.  RE: 7205 Standalone Controller - OS 8

Posted Jul 16, 2018 02:05 PM

ArubaOS 8 WebUI.jpgMy lab/training 7005 configured as standalone controller, OS 8.0.1.1.

After the first pass CLI setup, I configured vlan 18 with an IP address, configured a default IP address, and controller-ip vlan 18. I added the licenses.

But after reboot, where is my web GUI? This is what I see - nothing. I can't interact in any way.

What am I doing wrong?

• 6.  RE: 7205 Standalone Controller - OS 8

Posted Jul 16, 2018 03:37 PM

Try using chrome / firefox / edge

• 7.  RE: 7205 Standalone Controller - OS 8

Posted Jul 17, 2018 07:25 AM

ArubaOS8 on Chrome.jpg

It works with Chrome v67 (above). The previous shot was IE 11. Firefox doesn't let me get past the certificate error (also a problem with older ArubaOS).

• 8.  RE: 7205 Standalone Controller - OS 8

Posted Jul 17, 2018 07:52 AM

Now I have another problem. I tried to make a simple WLAN, WPA2 Personal with  PSK authentication and default role "authenticated". No PEF.jpg

I have a full set of licenses. Why does it not recognize that I have PEF?

(Aruba7005) ^[mynode] #show license

License Table
    -------------
    Key                                               Installed            Expires(Grace period expiry)  Flags  Service Type
    ---                                               ---------            ----------------------------  -----  ------------
    TMrsyfG4-tlN3xyis-v2xFbHuM-8klcNKog-LraIWHNV-Bww  2018-07-16 10:08:31  Never                          E     RF Protect: 2
    Di8C/NNM-XZhD9IFa-QRPvLHN5-M+JX0XOw-9OXGcpx9-4HI  2018-07-16 10:08:42  Never                          E     Policy Enforcement Firewall for VPN users
    TevaLb0a-B8DYlgV3-DJ4djcIc-u+pUnpJb-fmn6ItBy-oaM  2018-07-16 10:08:52  Never                          E     Access Points: 2
    /NFvN5/l-tMV7fd62-ZME5Mera-2iaBk+UK-c7n0wN7G-F+o  2018-07-16 10:09:03  Never                          E     Next Generation Policy Enforcement Firewall Module: 2

License Entries: 4

Flags: A - auto-generated; E - enabled; S - Subscription; R - reboot required to activate; D - Not enabled on license client

Note: Time under 'Installed' for Subscription licenses is the license generation time.
    (Aruba7005) ^[mynode] #

• 9.  RE: 7205 Standalone Controller - OS 8

Posted Jul 17, 2018 08:27 AM

This is all new to me.

1. What licenses do I need for an ArubaOS 8.x standalone controller (no external MM or license server, virtual or otherwise)?

2. The licenses I used were from the prior 6.x setup. Do I need to "Transfer Licenses to new Platform" in the portal?

• 10.  RE: 7205 Standalone Controller - OS 8

Posted Jul 19, 2018 05:45 PM

1. What licenses do I need for an ArubaOS 8.x standalone controller (no external MM or license server, virtual or otherwise)?

Licenses are as of 6.4 , they work the same.

2. The licenses I used were from the prior 6.x setup. Do I need to "Transfer Licenses to new Platform" in the portal?

Technically its not possible, you may want to check with support.

• 11.  RE: 7205 Standalone Controller - OS 8

Posted Jul 18, 2018 04:11 PM

Never mind -- usual learning curve. I had to enable license features at the CLI, and now it works. We didn't have to do that before.

• 12.  RE: 7205 Standalone Controller - OS 8

Posted Jul 19, 2018 07:50 PM

Hi cclemmer,

I have successfully configured the controller and converted few IAPs to CAPs, things look good.

There would be multiple sites over the WAN and the controller will be sitting at main site. I would like to stage the APs before sending them to sites. I would like to configure the controller IP Address on the APs, so that once they are plugged in, they will join the controller.

Can this be done? If yes, could you please share the command?

Thanks.

• 13.  RE: 7205 Standalone Controller - OS 8

Posted Jul 20, 2018 07:43 AM
    The AP by default will lookup aruba-master via DNS you can create an entry for Aruba-master in your DNS server and point it to the Aruba controller management IP

Thank you

Victor Fabian

Pardon typos sent from Mobile

• 14.  RE: 7205 Standalone Controller - OS 8

Posted Jul 22, 2018 07:13 PM

Hi Victor,

Thanks for your response.

Since the APs would have static IP address, do we need to statically assign the DNS IP(s) on each AP?

Also, when I converted few IAPs to CAPs, I used controller's VLAN1 IP Address rather than Management IP. It worked fine (both the APs and the controller were on same VLAN).

If the APs are on different VLAN, would this be a problem?

Do we need to have a management IP or VLAN1 IP should work?

Can you please advise if Management IP needs to be on a different VLAN?

Thanks.

• 15.  RE: 7205 Standalone Controller - OS 8

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 24, 2018 05:41 PM

@dot1x wrote:

Hi Victor,

Since the APs would have static IP address, do we need to statically assign the DNS IP(s) on each AP?

Also, when I converted few IAPs to CAPs, I used controller's VLAN1 IP Address rather than Management IP. It worked fine (both the APs and the controller were on same VLAN).

If the APs are on different VLAN, would this be a problem?

Do we need to have a management IP or VLAN1 IP should work?

Please don't use static IP addresses on the APs. While it is possible, it limits your flexibility in the future as the network evolves.

If you do use static IPs, then yes, you also must statically configure the DNS server IPs on each AP. 

• 16.  RE: 7205 Standalone Controller - OS 8

Posted Jul 26, 2018 01:26 AM

Hi Charlie,

Could you please advise if management IP needs to be configured?

Right now, I've configured VLAN1 IP address and used Ge0/0 to connect to the switch.

Should VLAN1 IP be enough to connect APs to controller?

• 17.  RE: 7205 Standalone Controller - OS 8

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 26, 2018 09:27 AM

@dot1x wrote:

Right now, I've configured VLAN1 IP address and used Ge0/0 to connect to the switch.

Should VLAN1 IP be enough to connect APs to controller?

As long as the VLAN1 IP is routable from the network where the APs are located, that should be enough.

• 18.  RE: 7205 Standalone Controller - OS 8

Posted Jul 26, 2018 11:16 PM

Hi cclemmer,

Yes, VLAN1 is routable from other sites/VLANs.

Is it recommended to assign management IP?

If yes, what would it be used for?

• 19.  RE: 7205 Standalone Controller - OS 8

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 27, 2018 09:31 AM

@dot1x wrote:

Is it recommended to assign management IP?

If yes, what would it be used for?

The controller will pick an IP to use as the controller IP, when multiple are available. Assigning a management IP provides a deterministic way to override that selection process. Early versions of AOS needed to use a loopback address for management, but that is no longer required.