Wireless Access

last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

7205 controller best practice and redundancy

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  7205 controller best practice and redundancy

Posted Sep 26, 2017 06:38 AM

Hi all,

could you clarify me some doubt with wifi implementation.
    We have two 7205 controllers.

As I understood we need to set one of them to master, and another one as a local controller.

Local controller will terminate all AP, and master will heat the air.

1) Using two local controllers in this situation is not better solution than master/locl cluster?

2) If my local controller will failed - can AP register to master, or they failed too till local controller replacing?

3) licensing - should we put licenses to master controller (central licensing), or they should be placed to local one?

4) About AP VLANs - Aruba doc said, that "edge VLAN should not be dedicated to APs except in environments where 802.1x is a requirement". Does it mean that these APs recommended to place in to existed wired user VLANs? I'm planning to use dedicated VLAN for controller, and all APs.

Many thanks.

• 2.  RE: 7205 controller best practice and redundancy

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 26, 2017 07:41 AM

- Your two 7205s can be configured as Master/Backup Master (Active/Passive), Master/local (Active/Active).

- Both of these designs supports the secondary controller backing up the primary controller upon failure.

- You can put licenses on either controller.  Centralized Licensing will pool them together.

- You can put access points in any VLAN that you want, as long as they can contact the controller.

• 3.  RE: 7205 controller best practice and redundancy

Posted Sep 26, 2017 07:50 AM

Hi Colin, thanks for fast response.

If I decide to run Active/Active solution I don't need to split my license pool?

I can use full pool on master only?

Do I need to split APs to different nets to support A/A mode?

Because if I use same net for all APs DHCP server unable to send different option to different APs.

Or I need to register APs once, and after that create two group with different  controller order?

• 4.  RE: 7205 controller best practice and redundancy
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 26, 2017 07:56 AM

In active/active and active/passive centralized licensing allows the access points to be shared between both controllers.  You do not need the APs to be on a different subnet.  You would need two groups to have access points on different controllers.