Wireless Access

last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

8.3.0.0 Master/Master Help

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  8.3.0.0 Master/Master Help

Posted Aug 30, 2018 09:02 AM

Hi

I have a quick question.

After migrating two new controllers to 8.3.0.0 and trying to set up in a master (active) / master (standby) solution.

On version 6.x.x.x I was able to enable centralized licensing which meant whenever the controller failed and the standby master came online it would have the same licenses.

Now on version 8.3.0.0 when the primary fails and the secondary comes online it seems as if it is sharing the AP and PEF licensing as the AP comes up.  

I can't however connect to the SSID on the standy controller once it comes up even though they are showing.  If i go to switch settings I see the below is this the reason or is it something I am doing wrong?

Switch-based licenses:
    0 of 0 enabled

• 2.  RE: 8.3.0.0 Master/Master Help

Posted Aug 30, 2018 09:07 AM

OK so it looks as though it isn't syncing all of the config correctly.

My AP Groups are not the same even though I go to the master and i go to maintenance and sync database it completes succesfully with the second controller.  I am not sure what i am doing wrong

• 3.  RE: 8.3.0.0 Master/Master Help

Posted Aug 30, 2018 10:26 AM

Hi,

are you talking about "Mobility Master / standby Mobility Master" or did you implement "AOS8 legacy master controller / legacy standby master controller"?

Regards,

Jörg

• 4.  RE: 8.3.0.0 Master/Master Help

Posted Aug 30, 2018 10:31 AM

I did a migration from version 6 to version 8 and then i picked stand alone controller for both controllers

I then set up the first controller and second controller as masters and then i configured vrrp / master redundancy to get them acting as master/master (active-standby)

I am going to purchase mobility master soon but i want to get the controllers working on version 8 for now so it makes the switch to mobility master easier rather than having to migrate from version 6 if you get me?

• 5.  RE: 8.3.0.0 Master/Master Help

Posted Aug 30, 2018 10:44 AM

I thought that even using firmware 8.3.0.0 i could set these both up without mobility master and use in the same way as master/master with one in standby and the config will sync. but it is not syncing all of the config and i am not sure why it has only synced some things and not others.

• 6.  RE: 8.3.0.0 Master/Master Help

Posted Aug 30, 2018 11:43 AM

Hi,

if I remember right, you can not connect APs to a AOS master controller. But your message seems to tell different...

Have you connected APs to your master?

For the rest I'm of no help. :-( I have no installation with AOS8 in legacy mode. :-)

Regards,

Jörg

• 7.  RE: 8.3.0.0 Master/Master Help

Posted Aug 31, 2018 04:09 AM

Yip AP is up and licenses are assigned for AP & PEF - licenses seem to fall over to the standby controller when the master goes down as the AP remains up.

What I don't get is the database sync doesn't seem to sync all config maybe I am making in the wrong place / folder /node i am a bit confused as to where I am supposed to making the changes with the new GUI

• 8.  RE: 8.3.0.0 Master/Master Help

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 31, 2018 08:58 AM

Scott, with AOS 8, a controller running in MCM (master controller mode) does not terminate AP tunnels. You addressed that by setting the controller as standalone. However, in that mode there is no config/database sync between controllers. Rather than master/master backup, what you have has standalone/standalone that can use VRRP for either active/standby or active/active failover. The caveat is that you’ll have to manually sync the configuration, including the centralized license server setup.

• 9.  RE: 8.3.0.0 Master/Master Help

Posted Aug 31, 2018 09:37 AM

Cool

Yes this is fine for now I can work like this.

However coming up soon we will receive the mobility master licenses.  Do you know if there is a way to then add these controllers to the mobility master now they are all running on version 8?

• 10.  RE: 8.3.0.0 Master/Master Help

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 31, 2018 09:40 AM

There is, but the two controllers that you add to the MM will be wiped out and their configuration would have to be put on the MM for it to be re-propagated to those controllers.  I would wait until you get an MM or you will have to "reinvent the wheel".  There is almost no advantage to having controllers on AOS 8 without an MM if you will add an MM shortly.

• 11.  RE: 8.3.0.0 Master/Master Help

Posted Aug 31, 2018 09:47 AM

It was more in an enivornment which isnt live yet.

I have migrated the controllers to version 8 already and they work fine as standalone even with VRRP (although the config sync doesnt work not a big deal)

Maybe i did jump the gun too soon however i did this because i thought once we get the mobility master it will be easier to go from version 8 to mobility master rather than have to do the migration from version 6.

It is fine if it wipes the controllers config because ideally I want to create a global config which will standardise all sites.

Can you tell me briefly the rough steps to add the aruba version 8 controllers to the mobility master ?

Thanks

• 12.  RE: 8.3.0.0 Master/Master Help

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 31, 2018 09:58 AM
    Please consult the Youtube series here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsYGHuNuBZcatGA1POy6iVpVlDTLYzNFE or the ArubaOS Fundamentals Guide 8 here: http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-Based-WLANs/ArubaOS-8-Fundamentals-Guide/ta-p/428914

To be clear, an AOS deployment with no MM (MCM) has only a subset of the features of and MM deployment. There is no clear path to migrating from and MCM deployment to one with an MM.

• 13.  RE: 8.3.0.0 Master/Master Help

Posted Aug 31, 2018 10:20 AM

However the features in the standalone version 8 will match that of what was in version 6 i assume? 

From what I can see the same features are available.

Migrating to mobility master will give further features which is what is required.

Thanks for the link I will consult the youtube tutorials.

Can you just confirm if i would be better downgrading back to 6 before trying to add the mobility master setup or can i just keep the controllers on version 8 for now and then add a mobility master whenever licensing is through and configured?

• 14.  RE: 8.3.0.0 Master/Master Help

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 01, 2018 06:52 AM

The configuration and features of ArubaOS 8 in standalone mode do not exactly match what is in version 6.  Some things work the same and some do not.  I never had to make that comparison, because I don't have much experience with standalone mode or encounter customers who run it.  I do know that it can be very limiting vs. running a network with an MM.

I do not know anyone who has successfuly migrated from standalone mode to an MM; they just waited until they got an MM so they would not have to start from scratch.

You can leave the controllers on AOS version 8, because it would get you familiar with aspects of AOS8.  When you get an MM and add the controllers, you typically have to "write erase all" and run through the startup wizard to add them to the MM; which means the configuration on the standalone will be replaced by whatever is on the MM...

• 15.  RE: 8.3.0.0 Master/Master Help

Posted Sep 03, 2018 03:54 AM

Wouldn't you have to do this on version 6 also? The part you have to write erase all?  If you had 6 controllers on version 6.x.x and wanted to add them all to the same mobility master?