Wireless Access

MVP

8.3.0.0 Master/Master Help

Hi

I have a quick question.

After migrating two new controllers to 8.3.0.0 and trying to set up in a master (active) / master (standby) solution.

On version 6.x.x.x I was able to enable centralized licensing which meant whenever the controller failed and the standby master came online it would have the same licenses.

Now on version 8.3.0.0 when the primary fails and the secondary comes online it seems as if it is sharing the AP and PEF licensing as the AP comes up.  

I can't however connect to the SSID on the standy controller once it comes up even though they are showing.  If i go to switch settings I see the below is this the reason or is it something I am doing wrong?

Switch-based licenses:
0 of 0 enabled
MVP

Re: 8.3.0.0 Master/Master Help

OK so it looks as though it isn't syncing all of the config correctly.

My AP Groups are not the same even though I go to the master and i go to maintenance and sync database it completes succesfully with the second controller.  I am not sure what i am doing wrong

MVP Expert
MVP Expert

Hi,

are you talking about "Mobility Master / standby Mobility Master" or did you implement "AOS8 legacy master controller / legacy standby master controller"?

Regards,

Jörg

Please give kudos, if you like my post.
Please Accept as solution, if my post was helpful.
MVP

I did a migration from version 6 to version 8 and then i picked stand alone controller for both controllers

I then set up the first controller and second controller as masters and then i configured vrrp / master redundancy to get them acting as master/master (active-standby)

I am going to purchase mobility master soon but i want to get the controllers working on version 8 for now so it makes the switch to mobility master easier rather than having to migrate from version 6 if you get me?

MVP

I thought that even using firmware 8.3.0.0 i could set these both up without mobility master and use in the same way as master/master with one in standby and the config will sync. but it is not syncing all of the config and i am not sure why it has only synced some things and not others.

MVP Expert
MVP Expert

Hi,

if I remember right, you can not connect APs to a AOS master controller. But your message seems to tell different...

Have you connected APs to your master?

For the rest I'm of no help. :-( I have no installation with AOS8 in legacy mode. :-)

Regards,

Jörg

Please give kudos, if you like my post.
Please Accept as solution, if my post was helpful.
MVP

Yip AP is up and licenses are assigned for AP & PEF - licenses seem to fall over to the standby controller when the master goes down as the AP remains up.

What I don't get is the database sync doesn't seem to sync all config maybe I am making in the wrong place / folder /node i am a bit confused as to where I am supposed to making the changes with the new GUI

Scott, with AOS 8, a controller running in MCM (master controller mode) does not terminate AP tunnels. You addressed that by setting the controller as standalone. However, in that mode there is no config/database sync between controllers. Rather than master/master backup, what you have has standalone/standalone that can use VRRP for either active/standby or active/active failover. The caveat is that you’ll have to manually sync the configuration, including the centralized license server setup.

Charlie Clemmer
Aruba Customer Engineering
MVP

Cool

Yes this is fine for now I can work like this.

However coming up soon we will receive the mobility master licenses.  Do you know if there is a way to then add these controllers to the mobility master now they are all running on version 8?

Guru Elite

There is, but the two controllers that you add to the MM will be wiped out and their configuration would have to be put on the MM for it to be re-propagated to those controllers.  I would wait until you get an MM or you will have to "reinvent the wheel".  There is almost no advantage to having controllers on AOS 8 without an MM if you will add an MM shortly.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.4 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Central Documentation
Aruba Technical Webinars
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: