Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all
This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  802.11k

Posted Aug 27, 2015 08:39 AM
    Hi All,

I'm interested in understanding if Aruba's implementation of 802.11k is supported in multiple controller environments. Essentially the scenario is: client A is associated to AP1 on controller1 and moving into an area serviced by AP2 on controller2. I'd like to know if the neighbor report from AP1 will list AP2. Information from Aruba or anyone that has tested this preferably with an iOS devices is much appreciated.

Pete

• 2.  RE: 802.11k

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 27, 2015 07:55 PM
    If you enable ARM over the air updates in the arm profile, access points will share neighbor information over the air about each other. This has nothing to do with 802.11k, however.

• 3.  RE: 802.11k

Posted Aug 28, 2015 08:25 AM

Thanks Colin, but my question about how Aruba's implementation of 11k works  in a multi controller environment remains.

• 4.  RE: 802.11k
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 28, 2015 09:47 AM

If AP2 is in AP1s neighbor report, and the client supports 802.11k, that client will get that AP in its neighbor report.  That will happen in a multi-controller environment if ARM over the Air updates is enabled.  

With that being said, I am answering in general because clients have varying levels of 802.11k support, and that ultimately will determine if they even use that information.  Just because the neighbor report is provided and 802.11k is running, does not mean it makes a big difference in terms of client connectivity or roaming:  http://www.mikealbano.com/2014/06/80211r-80211k-fast-bss-transition.html

• 5.  RE: 802.11k

Posted Aug 29, 2015 07:23 PM

I have two MK3 controllers in a 6000 chassis and a campus with 500 APs.  Half the APs are on controller 1 and the other half on controller 2.  IOS devices and our other devices are able to roam from controller to controller and keep their IPs.  The user table shows the users who roamed off their initial controllers as vistors and the original controller shows them away.  

I don't think the above is what you are asking but I also have airwave and if you tell me what you need I can run a test and get some screens for you on Monday from the controller/airwave when I am back in the office if my above scenario is what you need to test?  JUst need to know what you want to see.  Willing to help if I can.