Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

802.1x and Mac OS X Clients

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  802.1x and Mac OS X Clients

Posted Apr 18, 2013 10:36 AM

I've got 802.1x authentication set up on our network running 6.2.1.0 code and I've noticed this "issue" for as long as I've had it running.

If I walk out of the range of an AP that I am connected to with my laptop open(not sleeping) and running Mac OS X 10.7.5 I will lose connection then I pick up on another AP it will ask me to authenticate again.  If I choose cancel on the authentication dialog window then go choose the network again from the network chooser in the menu it will connect without any authentication request.

I have Validate PMKID enabled and Opportunistic Key Cache disabled on the 802.1x profile.

Is there any way to get it to not prompt the user to authenticate again and simply pick up SSID again?

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: 802.1x and Mac OS X Clients

Posted Apr 18, 2013 10:40 AM

I believe there's a power save known issues with OS X 10.7.5, which is fix in 10.8.3

• 3.  RE: 802.1x and Mac OS X Clients

Posted Apr 18, 2013 10:50 AM

So this would affect it if I'm not even putting my laptop to sleep or closing it?

What actually seems to work is when I shut the laptop, move to a new area and then open it up again.  Then it connects with no question.

• 4.  RE: 802.1x and Mac OS X Clients

Posted Apr 18, 2013 03:22 PM

I saw that same behavior with Macs running that OS X version 

• 5.  RE: 802.1x and Mac OS X Clients

Posted Apr 19, 2013 02:51 PM

I just upgraded my MacBook Pro 15" Mid 2011 to 10.8.3 and it still prompts me to for login to 802.1x when I roam with my laptop open.

• 6.  RE: 802.1x and Mac OS X Clients

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 19, 2013 02:56 PM

The supplicant on the MAC alone is responsible for caching and re-submitting the username and password on a roam.  Look and see if you have any authentication failures in your radius server that would prompt a mac to ask for the username and password again.

• 7.  RE: 802.1x and Mac OS X Clients

Posted Apr 19, 2013 04:02 PM
    After you upgraded and you try authenticate did it requested to install the cert again ?
    If not try deleting all the certs from the keychain access or reset it back to default