Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

80mhz channel width

This thread has been viewed 10 times
  • 1.  80mhz channel width

Posted Sep 26, 2017 04:52 PM

Noticed this repeatedly, but inconsistently: while browsing and connected to channel 149---

Sporadically page loading stops... not browser specific that I notice.

Turning off/back on WIFI fixes it, temporarily.

Did some searching, and found this thread, which though written from home use perspective, made me curious.

avoid 80mhz channel width

Is this not an issue, in a controller-enviroment?

Curious... 

• 2.  RE: 80mhz channel width

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 26, 2017 07:55 PM

When using 80mhz channels you have:

- Fewer non-overlapping channels so interference is more likely.

- Some clients that have packet aggregation issues that could affect performance

- WLAN infrastructures that rarely run 80mhz wide channels so bugs with 80mhz wide implementations are less likely to be seen or fixed.

- Throughput that can be affected by impairment on any of 4 channels.

- If you use DFS, the more likely the chance of false radar events to occur..

Long story short, there are quite a few things that could go wrong with 80mhz channels.

• 3.  RE: 80mhz channel width

Posted Sep 27, 2017 03:27 PM

Thnx Colin,

Sounds like something to be avoided, unless throughput is overly important.

So how/where does the Aruba controller address this?

• 4.  RE: 80mhz channel width

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 28, 2017 07:57 AM

The Aruba controller is limited to the number of channels in use and the overlap created by having access points within earshot.  You must design your network properly because an Aruba controller cannot overcome a poor design.

• 5.  RE: 80mhz channel width

Posted Sep 29, 2017 04:38 PM

OK, but it does sound like you are not crazy about 80 width... is mimimizing 80 mhz width something that can be handled within an AP configuration file, or is that part of how the Controller integrates APs within an area?

Sorry if I'm oversimplifying, still feeling my way with a lot of this.

• 6.  RE: 80mhz channel width

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Sep 30, 2017 06:28 AM

You would specify the 80Mhz settings within the controller which in turn would be pushed out to AP. These settings are configured under the ARM profile.